Skip to main content

Wannaskan Almanac for Saturday, July 14

It's another Saturday on this 14th day of July here at the Wannaskan Almanac. It's been a hot one this past week. If there's one gift nature has given us this summer it's this: no mosquitoes. We have spent almost every day or night outside enjoying the yard due to the dry weather. For the non-Wannaskan area readers, what I've just written would normally sound ludicrous. A night in northern Minnesota without bugs? Preposterous!

But, it's true! The fireflies (or are they lightning bugs?) have dominated the bug scene so far this summer. I am wishing for a bit of rain, though, for the farmers, but admittedly, just enough to water the crops but still keep the mosquitoes at bay.

It's Week 7 of Summer Vacation. While we've been enjoying all kinds of adventures in our household, I hit Week 7 with a bit of trepidation. What could I possibly have to write about this week? The shininess of summer has worn off. We've segued into house projects. For the most part, we've settled into the comfort of summer's relaxing rhythm. We even hung up a hammock. With all this drowsiness, what could possibly be newsworthy in Week 7 of summer vacation?

I will tell you.

Today, is the apex of summer vacation. With seven weeks behind us, we stand on the mountain top, surveying our progress and taking in the view. Looking back, we're surprised we toiled up that mountain. It hardly felt like work. In the early days, the kids clambered up the ascent like mountain goats, eager for new adventures. They found their tempo and hoofed it through, one foot in front of the other, committed to the climb. These last two weeks felt a little more arduous, maybe even a smidge dire, as we feared the worst: boredom.

Ah, who am I kidding? The kids are luxuriating in their laziness and it's me who's feeling the dire and counting down the weeks. Seven more weeks of summer vacation?! Are you kidding me? What are we going to do for SEVEN more weeks?! SEVEN!!!!

The first thing I'm going to do is take a deep breath and enjoy the view. This summer hasn't been lazy; it's been laid back. And so fun. Swimming, trampolines, bike rides, children's theater, movies, camps, campfires, road trips. A new floor. The living room rearranged. The front closet cleared out and organized. Aaahhh.......

The second thing I'm going to do is take stock. Tomorrow, Sunday, we begin our descent. Easier in some respects, but hard on the knees and toes in a way different than the trek up. We have seven weeks to zigzag back down this mountain and get the most from this amazing hike before it's back to our regularly scheduled program of life.

On that note, just when I thought I would have nothing to write about, Week 7 provided a bounty of Bs!

Brewing Beer - The week kicked off with hubby brewing. Locals know this is his favorite hobby. While other men talk fishing and hockey, my guy can wax poetic about beverages. He's come a long way from his very first batch, which we named "4:00 A.M." because that's how late he stayed up to finish brewing it. He understands the taste buds of our local fans and has scaled back the hops while still paying homage to his favorite brew, Bohemian lager. If you're reading this, consider it an open invitation to pop by anytime for a cold one straight from the keg.

Berries - Just when I feared summer vacation would bring on the blues, (I mean, really, 14 weeks of summer?! It's a long time with 5 kids.) I peeked at the raspberry bushes. They were laden - no, burdened - with berries! Boom! After picking the first raspberries of the season, I bundled up the bunch and we headed out to Beltrami Island State Forest for some blueberry picking. Now, I know the locals are tight-lipped about these things, but I'm going to tell you: the crop is brilliantly abundant this year! The forest is bursting with blueberries. There really is enough for everybody, so come on out! After buttering up a local, she revealed that the blueberries should be in good form for about another week. Oh! And the bugs! Zilcho! I don't know if I just got lucky, but there were no swarming mosquitoes. (Okay, maybe not none, but considerably fewer than normal.) I will gladly take the loud, yet harmless, buzzing of flies over mosquitoes any day.

BattleBots - Folks, I'm completely hooked. Our family has become an ardent fan of the Science Channel, in general, and to this show in particular. With kids participating in Lego League and Robotics, this show/competition/tournament, takes it all to a whole new level. Sure, I saw the Big Bang Theory episode when Barry Kripke challenged Sheldon and his crew to a bot battle - but I didn't realize it actually existed. Brilliant! I was rooting for End Game who came out strong but then took a beating from Bite Force and it broke my heart when the Duck got brutally bucked by the Bronco.

Buddies - When I was a kid, I remember bursting through my aunt and uncle's door at full speed. "HellOOOO!" Doors weren't locked and we never knocked. (Until my aunt asked me to.) We popped in and neighbors dropped by. This week, our neighbor and her kids came over at 9:30 p.m. The grown-ups enjoyed a beer while the kids splashed in the kiddie pool til little bodies began to shiver with the setting sun. Last night, friends came out bearing gifts of pizza, kid-size sports drinks in blue and pink, freezer pops, play dough, and a toy horse and lizard for the littles. We talked about the wife's upcoming trip to Czech Republic and the husband was kind enough to take a spin in the hammock at the insistence of the little who were completely buzzed with joy. We feasted on blueberry-rhubarb crisp and basked in summer's beauty til dark. (Then we watched another episode of BattleBots.)

Fun Facts from the Kids

"Hey did you know the daddy long leg has a really venemous bite but it doesn't affect us because they can't get their mouths around us? he said, as his younger sister screamed at the creepy crawly making its way over her white plastic chair.

"Hey, did you know green blueberries are poisonous?" he asked as the toddler munched on a few green blueberries. Yikes! I googled this and it appears that, no, they are not poisonous, but here's a short, informative video about a plant lookalike that is poisonous that can grow right in there with blueberries.

"JP2 camp is what grounded me in my faith. I mean, I had a faith already, but this made it stronger. Every kid should go to JP2." - From the daughter who just returned home after being on the service team for the camp.

Computers

Hello, it’s David again! So, as you know, a couple of weeks ago, I got a new computer which I used to write my part of my mom’s blog last week. What I want to write about today, is about the computer.
                The computer’s name is “Davids-Albert-PC.” Yes, it has a name. Every computer needs a name. It’s a Dell Inspiron 11 3000 Series. Yes, it’s a long name for the type of computer and yes, I know I keep saying “yes.”
                How I got the computer was a very weird process. I was in the cities to visit a friend for the week. About two days into the visit, he was getting a new TV (FYI he is not a kid. He’s about 70). A little bit before the visit, my uncle had heard about my computer plans, so he recommended a computer for me. The Dell Inspiron bla bla bla.
When my friend (names cannot be mentioned) and I got to Walmart to pick up the TV, he saw that the computer that my uncle had recommended was on sale for almost 50% off, and that he would get a clearance for it. I didn’t know about the computer until he went to the front desk and said, “And to add to the TV, I’ll take that Dell Inspiron for Dave.” Or, something like that. Yes, he called me Dave, and I was shocked. Pure shock. I had no idea he would get me that computer or any computer. I didn’t know what to say. I had never been so shocked in my life! I wasn’t expecting to get a computer till after my thirteenth birthday!
 After a couple of hours, I finally got over the shock. I set up the computer and throughout the week I added some tweaks to make it cooler.
So, that’s a little bit about my computer and how I got it.

Until next time, David


P.S. It takes 1.6 million pounds to crush a 2-foot-tall concrete cylinder.

On This Day

Historic Highlights (credits)

2016 - Terrorist Attack in Nice, France Kills 85 and Injures More than 300 People
The attack took place during Bastille Day Celebrations, when a 19-ton truck was driven into the crowd. The attacker was eventually shot by the police.

1965 - Mars flyby of Mariner 4
The American spacecraft became the first to take pictures of another planet and send them back to Earth.

1958 - Coup in Iraq
Abd al-Karim Qasim, a brigadier in the Iraqi Army staged a military coup in Iraq, overthrowing the Hashemite monarchy. The Iraqi King Faisal II, the Crown Prince Abd al-Ilah, and Prime Minister Nuri al-Said were assassinated during the coup. Qasim took over the position of Prime Minister, which he held until 1963. The coup also led to the dissolution of the Arab Federation of Jordan and Iraq.

1957 - First female parliamentarian in the Arab world is elected to office
Egyptian Rawya Ateya became the first woman to be elected to the National Assembly.

1789 - Storming of the Bastille
Bastille, a prison housing only 7 prisoners at the time, was stormed by a crowd calling for the closure of the prison. The storming became the central event of the French Revolution.

Happy Birthday to You!🎶 

1918 - Ingmar Bergman, Swedish director

1913 - Gerald Ford, American politician, 38th President of the United States

1912 - Woody Guthrie, American singer-songwriter, musician

1911 - Terry-Thomas, British actor

1862 - Gustav Klimt, Austrian painter, graphic artist

So, peeps, we may be at the apex of summer vacation, but get out there and make the most of it. There's still so much to enjoy. Seven weeks to be exact!

Kim

P.S. She-who-asked-not-to-be-named passed her driver's test.

Bonding time with the baby.



Comments

  1. I enjoy reading you when I get the chance--oh, and 'Dave' too. It's nice he can be a part of this great cultural exchange. As I read about your summer, I'm taking notes about what to do with our eight year old grandson who will be staying with us for a couple weeks, here in "the middle of nowhere" he's fond of saying. "Swimming, trampolines, bike rides, children's theater, movies, camps, campfires, road trips. . . ." Hmmmm. we can take him to Hayes or the Roseau splash park, we don't have a trampoline (he has one at home/doesn't every kid these days?) And we can do bike rides, but children's theater? I'll have to look into some presentation somewhere, and movies? What's playing at the Roso theater the next two weeks? We can't send him to camp, so that's out. Besides, he's from the Bayfield, Wisconsin area where the whole world is a campground, including his hillside school yard, so that's no novel experience for him. We can have campfires, if we're careful, but road trips are definitely out of the question because it's a 7-hour road trip for him just to get here and he's all burned out riding too far anywhere else.

    Maybe we could brew beer ... that's a possibility. We just won't tell gramma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here are some ideas for you:

      Theater: Seussical the Musical will be performed by Warroad Summer Theater, July 25 - 31, August 1 - 5. Definitely kid-friendly. Children's Fire Prairie Theater will be in Roseau the week of August 13. If he likes to act, they might be able to squeeze him in. Check in with your RAAA connections. But to just see the play, it will be ONE NIGHT ONLY, Friday, August 17 @ 7pm at Roseau High School.

      Movies: Roso Theater schedule 7/20-7/23/18 - Hotel Transylvania 3
      7/27-7/30/18 - Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, Show times Fri-Mon @ 7pm, Sun 4 & 7pm

      Roseau County 4-H has a few more day camps and you don't have to be a member of 4-H to attend.

      Tuesday storytime at the Roseau Library @ 10:30 a.m. is always a hit.

      Kids Week will be in Warroad, August 20 - 24.

      Warroad Community Partners hosts free movie nights outdoors at Warroad football field at sunset. Cars 3 on August 11 and Paddington 2 on August 24. (Must be the summer for sequels.)

      If he's a sports fan, T.J. Oshie brings the Stanley Cup to Warroad on Tuesday, July 24 and there's a whole slew of activities and whatnot on that day. (I saw a schedule of events but can't seem to find it again.)

      Beaches: I like to go to Zippel Bay, but that may not be a big deal since the g'son lives in Bayfield. Or hop over the border to Buffalo Bay. Just crossing the border might be a thrill

      When in doubt, ice cream always wins.

      You absolutely should give brewing a go, or you could try a ginger ale instead! :)

      And don't forget to check out the geocaches in the area. With the reduction in the mosquito population, this is the year to explore the forest.

      Of course, just being with you is sure to offer plenty of adventures!

      Have fun!

      Delete

Post a Comment