Skip to main content

16 July 18 Raven Song – Part 1

And this Monday, we meet more feathered friends – Raven. Like Canada Geese of a recent poem, Ravens are thought to partner for life – another amazing un-coincidence as Ravens are perhaps the smartest birds around. I know you’ve seen at least one other Raven poem in this Almanac; don’t be surprised if you see more. I live with them, or they with me. It’s hard to tell the difference sometimes.

You may find another not-coincidence of interest. As I was beginning to create this poem, jotting down thoughts, words, and phrases, a huge Raven landed in a jack pine outside my porch window where I was working. He or she was so large that at first, I mistook him for a fisher, that weasel-family Forest dweller only infrequently spied. Writing about Raven and one “just happens” to land right outside my window? The next thing you know, I’ll be writing to you about a Raven who comes a “tapping at my chamber door.”

Raven Song
Part 1                                                                           
For Huginn and Munnin 
                        Brash and brazen through all seasons
                        Flight plan strategies filed for their own dark reasons
                        Off-key raspy voices proclaim and call
            “We are Ravens – all luck in the world – we have it all!”

            
Winging low between Forest branches, garners canine consternation
                        Playful bird and dog join in teasing conversation
                        One to the other never reaching conciliation
                        as Raven croaks and dives razing garden desolation
            as is their trickster habit -- then with no chagrin blame the rabbit

            
Untethered corvid song rises early to play with dawn
                        cackle-caw in blown-feather flight all day long
                        then their motley music echoes into twilight
                        finally settling on swaying treetops under yawning moonlight
            Only to soar up with morning brightness and shrill alarms and croaking songs
            “We are here! We are Ravens! In this vast and mighty Woodland we belong!        

            
Interpret as you will and wish their undertones and intonations
                        artistic souls care naught for protestations
                        You and dog can wallow in mutual commiseration

                        
“Raven, Raven whose song can’t be caught
                        Wrap your melody ‘round my every thought!”
                        Look down on me from your high-perched tree
                        and grant good graces to every present-memory

Background:
Raven has been a presence in my life for over thirty years. As one who studied Native American myths, legends, and realities, I saw the Raven over and over as an important being. When I began attending pow wows and taking part in sweat lodge ceremonies, Raven became even more prominent. After several years, Raven became my totem spirit, and we’ve never looked (flown?) back. I’m not at liberty to explain how he became my spirit companion but I will tell you that over the years, I have had many encounters with this big black bird who vies with humans for humor and common sense. He even shows up in my dreams.

One of the most stunning incidents I’ve experienced happened at Big Sur in Northern California. (And no, I wasn’t jacked up on peyote, mescaline, or the like.) We were there for a motorcycle rally and all during the first day Ravens kept swooping down over our heads. I suspect, realistically, that they were protecting a nest, but who knows? That night, I dreamed of Ravens. The next day, in a bookshop, I came upon a book about the Raven’s importance for the Northwest Coast’s tribes. And on it went, right up to the incident I just told you about that happened just a few days ago.

Exploration 1: How does one tell the difference between a crow and a Raven?
If you’ve ever heard the Raven’s voice, what do you think of it?

Exploration 2: Another bird that mates for life! Remember the Canada Geese in a recent poem. Is this a coincidence or something else?

Exploration 3: What do you think about “totem spirits?”

Your Monday Poet - Jack Pine Savage

Comments

  1. AWK! Right down my path in the woods, wouldn't you know it?

    Exploration 1: 'Easily' Here in Palmville, safely over Mikinaak Creek, ravens sometimes linger for a chat. They often respond to recall, a similar 'croak' or 'purr' that I've thrown their way, in imitation. I've had them suddenly swing back over me and circle checking out whether I know their language or if I'm just a wannabe, as it's obvious from their point of view, I'm not a winged being, albeit a friendly imitation.

    Crows don't linger. Often they swing wide over the yard and stay to the fringes over the trees tops where they annoyingly harass an owl they've discovered napping after its long hard night of hunting. Ravens seem mature enough to know their size and numbers, when needed, are sufficient to take care of any owl as necessary, and whereas they too appreciate a good nap now and then, they just as likely fly by owl, wishing it good sleep, using some quiet password the two species share.

    Exploration 2: I think this is a common misnomer. Ravens and Canadian geese share one particular element unique to other animals and that is, male and female, they all look alike. Size isn't the best indicator either. As in human circles, some small males fancy large females and visa versa. If we look at flocks of ravens and gaggles of Canadian geese, identifying 'mates for life' of either, is difficult or high near impossible. If they are seen in twos, it's just as likely they are brothers or sisters, as some romantic ideal of 'mates for life.' C'mon, that's fantasy as we know it, although granted, there have been rare exceptions.

    Exploration 3: Hmmm, totem spirits ... Well without too much deep thought, I'd think a raven would be mine as well, as similarities exist if only in appearance. On the outset, a raven is ruggedly individual as male or female--please inform me how to tell them apart-- and often unkempt, as other birds go, with its beard of sorts and sometimes rakish attitude. Other times, it seems content to just enjoy the company of itself, or that of a few close friends--who all look alike or similar, strangely. I don't think that's intentional. Ravens aren't birds (honestly) well, birds that would exclude birds of another feather. They're just not that way. Ravens are broadminded, non-judgemental beings, having seen it all over the course of history, light and dark, evermore.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment