Skip to main content

July 10, 2018

First of all, I wish to apologize to the readers of the Wannaskan Almanac for neglecting to include a word of the day in my July 3 scribbling. I will make up for it with a delightful "T" word this week...tarantella. I will give you a few minutes to see if you can despider...I mean decipher...that word.
Here are a list of interesting events that occurred on July 10.
988 The city of Dublin is founded on the banks of the river Liffey. Click here to learn about some of the oldest buildings in Dublin.
1040 According to legend Lady Godiva rides naked on horseback through Coventry to force her husband, the Earl of Mercia, to lower taxes.
1796 Carl Friedrich Gauss discovers that every positive integer is representable as a sum of at most three triangular numbers. I assume that means numbers that have three sides...or three angles...or is just something made up by my college math professor.
1890 Wyoming becomes 44th American state. It was the beginning of the Wy O Ming dynasty. (I stretched it there, I know. Thankfully I will share my email soon where you can send complaints!)
It was also a very hot day...4 big records were set on this day in 1936. 109°F at Cumberland & Frederick, Maryland (state record), 110°F at Runyon, New Jersey (state record), 111°F Phoenixville, Pennsylvania (state record), and 112°F at Martinsburg, West Virginia (state record). The temperature in Wannaska on that date is unknown. If you do know what it was can you email it to me? It would warm my soul to know the high temperature that day! Weather news from Kansas is dire. Everyone has heard of the dust bowl, but a recent radar image shows that an even more terrifying weather pattern is developing. This weather anomaly is known as the donut bowl. I donut know anything else about it.
Kansas Donut Bowl






Famous people born on July 10 include:
1509 John Calvin
1808 Solomon Northup
1830 Camille Pissarro
1856 Nikola Tesla
1917 Reg Smyth
1923 Jean Kerr
1924 Bobo Brazil
1934 Jerry Nelson
1938 Lee Morgan
1945 Ron Glass
I know you are used to me saying some sort of snippet about each of the birthday boys and girls that I list, but I decided to let you have a little fun. How many of the ten names had you hear of before? Me, I had only heard of three. Check them out and see how many you get!
A tarantella is a fast and violent Italian folk dance. Which is exactly the kind of dance I would do if a tarantula walked up on me! The actual dance certainly doesn't seem violent to me...but judge for yourself.
Summer is calling, and it is not telling me to sit any longer at my keyboard! If you were horribly offended today, won't you please...please...please tell me about it? You can send me an email at ffefreekshow@hotmail.com and I promise I will feel your pain!

Comments

  1. So there I was, listening to someone describe how somebody from Kansas--and it ain't Dorothy--hurt his back workin' a hula hoop and had to go home, takin' his hula hoop with him. Now, I know guys about his age who've played a too energetic game of basketball or baseball or football or a host of other antics that they used to be excellent at back in high school (It's really too bad about that guy who rode his boy's bike off the river cliff because him and his friends used to 'do it all summer' when he was young--only to find the river ain't there anymore) and hurt their backs, hips, ankles, feet, necks, shoulders because they got 'way outa shape since then. Who knew? But other than maybe bein' on the Rainy River Cheerleading Squad or a greeter at the Honolulu airport, I can't imagine you were ever excellent whorling a hula hoop around your mid-section. Better stay with sky diving.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment