Skip to main content

Wannaskan Almanac for Tuesday, September 26, 2023 Lone Start Your Engines

My money daughter is attending Baylor University.  It is a very expensive beautiful campus located in Waco, Texas.  This means that my one and only daughter is now nearly 24 beers 550 miles south of my Kansas home.  I am really enjoying tiring of writing with the strikethrough, so this will be the only paragraph done in this manner.

Yup, that is real gold!

We drove down to visit my daughter over Labor Day weekend, which is kind of ironic, since it was more work to drive there and back then I would have done if I had just worked Monday.  The town of Waco is a pretty nice place to live, and I am sure that my daughter will enjoy her college time there.  There is plenty to do...you can watch the Baylor Bears football team allow record breaking offensive numbers to their opposition...you can go to the Dr. Pepper museum...and you can tour the Silos.  I did that all.  I have the receipts to prove it!

More than you would ever want to know about Dr. Pepper

One thing that I learned on my trip is that drivers in Texas have one goal...to get where they are going as fast as possible.  There is one section of highway in Texas where the speed limit is 85 mph.  Rumor has it that you will be easily passed if you are only doing 90.  The speed limit through Waco is 75 mph on the interstate.  I found that when I was going that speed people were zipping by me...throwing me dirty looks and pointing to their gas pedals.   It isn't like Kansas or Minnesota, where you can add in 4 mph to the speed limit and likely avoid a ticket.  In Texas they seem to encourage a plus 15 mph to the speed limit.  And...there is nothing wrong with going across 4 lanes of traffic to get to your exit.  I think that might actually be a law that you have to take an exit from the furthest away lane.  

85 is for Sunday Drivers...all others get a +15

That is it for my trip to Waco.  Drive fast.  Drink Dr. Pepper.  Go Bears!  

Comments

  1. The first time I ever tasted Dr. Pepper I thought it was old and spoiled. I spit what was in my mouth and dumped the rest of the bottle somewhere. Of course, I did that with my first Guinness Extra Stout too. The rest is personal history.
    I've drunk Dr. Pepper too, since that first one and now accept its taste, but both beverages require some familiarity.
    As for Texas, you can keep it down by you, 1355.2 miles from here. 85 mph too isn't what I want to drive anymore, feeling major trepidation just driving 694 and I-35 through the cities now. I'll stick to two-lane blacktops and gravel roads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you liked Dr. Pepper, then on your next trip to Minn, swing by the Spam Museum in the other Austin.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment