Skip to main content

Fifty

 


   On this day in 1973 I married Teresa Karlsson in a little county church on a gravel road in the middle of nowhere. We've been here ever since. I must give a shout out to my brother-in-law Gardner McBride. Gardner, a native of New Jersey, had gone to a summer camp in Wisconsin as a counselor a few years earlier. Teresa's oldest sister Cindy was a counselor at the same camp  Gardner is a man who knows his own mind and proposed to Cindy on their first date. Cindy said she would have to pray about it that night. It was a church affiliated camp after all. God said yes. 

  The newlyweds bought a house in Hull, Mass. conveniently located next to my parent’s house. Gardner’s business took him out of town during the week. Cindy started an art gallery in town and my mother worked there part time. I was in the Philippines just then serving in the Navy. My mother wrote that Cindy's beautiful sister Teresa from Minnesota was coming to help the now expecting Cindy in the gallery. It was too bad I wouldn't be getting discharged till October when Teresa would be back in college.

  The Navy in its wisdom decided I was redundant and discharged me (honorably) in May so I arrived home not long after Teresa got there. I just wanted to relax after three and a half years under Uncle Sam’s thumb. My mother suggested I call Teresa since she didn’t know anyone here other than Cindy. She offered me five dollars and the use of her car. “I don’t need your money, ma, but I will borrow your car.

  So Teresa and I went to the movies. We went sailing in my father’s boat. We took hikes in the woods. I picked Teresa up after work at the gallery in Gardner’s Jaguar XKE and watched the sun go down. It was an idyllic summer romance. I thought it was over when Teresa left shortly after the arrival of baby Elizabeth.

  We exchanged a few letters. Nothing seemed to be happening, but I could not forget my summer friend. I invited her back to Hull for Christmas. Teresa said she’d come but not to get my hopes up.

    After a pleasant week together I put her on the plane back to Minnesota and thought that was that. Now it was Teresa’s turn to think this romance might have possibilities. After a few bumps in the road the Joe & Teresa railroad commenced to run. Linking yourself to another person for life is always going to be an adventure, but, as Walt Whitman said, “We were together. I forget the rest.”

Court-Ship


 


Comments

  1. Who is that round-faced chubby-belly guy with a cool guy cap that Teresa's almost got her arms around? I see he's holding a spit cup too for his chew he can't spew in the boat nor likely let fly over his shoulder had he been alone. Nice touch. So thoughtful. No wonder she married you. The Roseau guys'd never thought to do that for their date.Your mother, God bless her soul, taught you how to respect women and its paid off for fifty years. Congratulations Teresa, for you've made a silk purse out of a sow's ear at long last.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The image of Teresa's arms around you against the backdrop of that expansive sweep of water speaks volumes given the grounded, earthen nature of where you've lived out your beautiful, beautiful lives. Contrast is such a trickster, such and teacher. Welcome to Club Five Oh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The JackPine and sojourn together is exactly half the number of years you 50's can claim; however, is it possible we have had twice the fun and games? No, we are - all of us - six lima beans in one pod - an abundance of beans! We all know a good prospect (decided sale) when we see one - A good prospect that is for cozying up in a furry pod - a very auspicious situation in our climate. Huzzahs! all 'round!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And, it also should be noted, the young couple were customarily chaperoned ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...did you two get married when you were five or something? You don't look like people who have been married 50 years!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment