Skip to main content

Wannaskan Almanac for Tuesday, April 4, 2023 Sult in the Wounds

The following was stolen from a Facebook post.  So sue me!



These insults are from an era before the English language got boiled down to  4-letter words. Insults then, had some class! 

1.  "I  am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play;  Bring a  friend, if you have one."
     George  Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill.  
 "Cannot  possibly attend first night, I  will attend the second...If  there is one."
     -  Winston Churchill, in response.   
 2.   A  member of Parliament to Disraeli: "Sir, you will  either die on the gallows, or of some  unspeakable  disease."
     ·  "That  depends, Sir," said Disraeli, "whether I embrace  your policies or your  mistress." 
  3. "He  had delusions of  adequacy."    -  Walter Kerr 
4. "I  have never killed a man, but I have read many  obituaries with great  pleasure."
     -  Clarence Darrow
 5.  "He  has never been known to use a word that might  send a reader to the  dictionary."
     -  William Faulkner (about Ernest  Hemingway). 
6."Thank  you for sending me a copy of your book; I'll  waste no time reading  it."
     -  Moses Hadas
7. "I  didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice  letter saying I approved of  it."
     -  Mark Twain
 8. "He  has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his  friends.."
     -  Oscar Wilde 
  9. "I  feel so miserable without you; it's almost like  having you  here."
     -  Stephen Bishop
10."He  is a self-made man and worships his creator."
     -  John Bright
 11. "I've  just learned about his illness. Let's hope it's  nothing  trivial."
     -  Irvin S. Cobb 
 12. "He  is not only dull himself; he is the cause of  dullness in  others."
     -  Samuel Johnson 
13.  "He  is simply a shiver looking for a spine to run up."
     -  Paul  Keating
14.  "In  order to avoid being called a flirt, she always  yielded  easily."
     -  Charles, Count Talleyrand
 15.  "He  loves nature in spite of what it did to him."
     -  Forrest Tucker 
 16.  "Why  do you sit there looking like an envelope  without any address on  it?"
     -  Mark Twain 
17. "His  mother should have thrown him away and kept the stork."
     -  Mae West
 18.  "Some  cause happiness wherever they go; others,  whenever they  go."
     -  Oscar Wilde
 19. "He  uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... For support rather than  illumination."
     -  Andrew Lang (1844-1912)
20.  "He  has Van Gogh's ear for  music."
     -  Billy Wilder
21. "I've  had a perfectly wonderful  evening.  But  this wasn't  it."
     -  Groucho  Marx.
22."He  has all the virtues I dislike and none of the  vices I  admire."
     -  Winston Churchill

My favorite insult of all time...a friend of mine, lets call him Dan, told me that he should write a book about the topic we were discussing.  My reply...you would be the first person to write a book before reading one!  

Be nice to each other today.  If you need to insult someone do it with class!

Comments

  1. Excellent collection.

    Only insult those who deserve it.
    When the come back comes back,
    Be sure to observe it. —Anon

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment