Skip to main content

Wannaskan Almanac for Tuesday, January 10, 2023 Old Time Sayings

I usually publish my articles at 12:30 AM.  Today I published it at 1 AM.  I suppose I will miss out on that large group of late night readers who live to read my sardonic wit.  Oh well.  Life goes on.

Did you have to wait a half hour this morning?

Here are a list of things that old people say.  Since I am now officially an old person I thought it would be okay if I started saying these things too.

A little long in the tooth...this means that you are just old.  So if you are saying that you could just be referring to yourself.  

Goes to bed with the chickens...just means that the person goes to bed early.  I am not sure why chickens go to bed early.  Perhaps they have night blindness.

He ain't sawing logs, he's clearing brush...means that the person is snoring loudly.  Which if you have ever done either of those you'd know that sawing logs is much noisier than clearing brush.  

He's about two years older than baseball...just means that he is old.  Or he could just be a little long in the tooth.  I guess old people like to talk about how old people are.  

I am as old as my tongue and a little older than my teeth...once again just means you are old, and probably have false teeth.  Not me though.  Mine are all capped.  

The oldest person currently alive is Lucile Randon.  She is a 118 year old nun who lives in France.  

No measurements available on her tooth

The Bible describes a man named Methuselah who lived to be 969 years old.  I guess you could say he was older than my tongue, my teeth, baseball, and our Sunday Squibs writer.  That should get us somewhere near that 969 number.

The oldest photograph of a tornado was taken in South Dakota in 1884.  Tornadoes are notoriously shy and don't like to be photographed.  This picture was taken by F. N. Robinson.  

Cool F. N. picture

So what brings you back to the good old days?  Me, it is putting on a pair of my oldest sweat pants.  They are about 45 years old, very threadbare, and the elastic doesn't work anymore.  I won't post a picture.  I value our readers too much for that!


Comments

  1. Bacteria is my favorite old thing.
    We wouldn’t be here without it.
    I’ll be celebrating good old bacteria on World Microbiome Day on June 27.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What brings me back to the 'good ol' days'? Matter of fact, it's you! All I have to do is remember you back before you married your lovely wife, you, with your shoulder-length reddish-blonde hair, and a grin from ear to ear ... and the wife-to-be's father, Jerry Solom was alive and well. Now those were the good old days!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment