Skip to main content

Antonin's Trip to Minneapolis

 Hello and welcome to a balmy, mid-January Saturday here at the Wannaskan Almanac. Today is January 14th.

Today, The Youngest and I are co-writing the blog post. I can't tell if he actually likes writing or if he's just super motivated to earn computer game minutes. (10 minutes a paragraph.) Either way, I enjoy having my little wingman. Enjoy!

Today's blog post is going to be about going all the way from Warroad to all the way to Minneapolis/St. Paul. Let's start with the backstory.

We were in a rush to drive so then a couple hours later, we all finally got in the car and drove three hours to Bemidji. (Mom Note: about 2 1/2 hours.) On that same day, I had an appointment in Bemidji for my broken leg. They took an x-ray, they told us some things, and we had to schedule another point. (Mom note: his bones shifted, so we needed to schedule another x-ray. If the bones shift more, he'll have to get a new cast with a wedge shoved inside it to keep the leg and bones aligned for better healing.) We picked up Domino's pizza and then we were on our way to Minneapolis.

On the way to Minneapolis, right in the middle of Monticello, my mom realized that we didn't have tabs. (Mom Note: Dad realized it. A conversation ensued about whether Mom actually bought the tabs and Dad forgot to put them on the vehicle. She called Jody at the Roseau DMV to find out. Mom was right. Ha!) We went to a tab place - I wasn't really listening - and we bought tabs just before the place closed.

We were almost to Minneapolis. When we arrived at Minneapolis, we got to see my mom's friends named Paul and Carol. We had a lot of fun, but at night we had a party at my mom's friend, Bea's house. I didn't like it because I was the only kid under double digits there. But Bea had a plan for me. I went downstairs and I got to watch YouTube and then I had a lot of fun.

When we were going to the van after the party, all of a sudden I slipped!!! I was super mad, sad, my broken leg was in pain, and I just wanted to go home, but I couldn't because my mom and dad wouldn't let me. (Mom Note: We were spending the weekend with our friends, so hitting the road home for a 6-hour drive at eleven o'clock at night really wasn't feasible.)

I felt well on Saturday. Paul and Carol made bacon, roasted potatoes, pancakes, and fruit for breakfast. (Mom Note: I called the pancakes Pumpkin Pie Pancakes and the breakfast was seriously a 3 Michelin stars delicious.) After we had breakfast, we planned our day out. We planned me playing on my mom's computer, then going to the Science Museum. That - I'm going to talk about a lot. 

When we stepped into the Science Museum, I was amazed. There were Tyrannosaurus bones. There were Pterodactyl bones. There were Ankylosaurus bones. There were Stegosaurus bones, Diplodocus bones, crocodile bones, and Allosaurus bones. It also showed us that back then Polar bears used to be bigger than Grizzly bears. (Mom Note: They still are.)

We also saw stuff that we could touch. For example, little metal balls that we put in this big, black, giant thingy container. When we put the balls in, they wouldn't just go straight down to the hole, they would go around in circles (Mom Note: ellipticals) and go faster and faster and faster. When they would reach the whole they were zooming in circles until they fell down in the hole and to the little slot container like gum ball machine where we could pick them up and do it again. And also in the Science Museum, I got to be in a really cool wheelchair. I was able to wheel myself around. 

My favorite part about the Science Museum was the Omnitheater because there was a movie going and it was really interesting. It was about sea lions and a baby sea lion named Otto. The screen is all around you so it makes you feel like you're in the movie. There were some scary parts in the movie when we weren't sure if Otto was going to live. You'll have to see it to find out what happens!

The rest of the weekend went well. Paul and Carol are really good cooks and I got to sleep on a really comfortable chair. In the end, even though I didn't have the comfort of my own home, I liked being in Minneapolis/St. Paul because it was fun. I liked seeing the Science Museum, I saw actual dinosaur bones, and my sister liked the tall buildings in downtown Minneapolis.

I'm ready to be done now. Thank you for reading my blog posts and giving me comments. I really appreciate it. I get more views than my mom! 😆

Photo credit: Science Museum of Minnesota


Comments

  1. Very good blog, Antonin. Yes the Science Museum is pretty cool. I really like the Imax theater is my favorite. Next time your down here let me know. I will down in St Paul for a while. Hope your leg is healing fast and that you can ride bike, climb trees. Take care. Keep on blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tasted Carol and Paul’s food and it is delicious. This makes me want to go back to the Science Museum because I haven’t been in about 15 years. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun. We were at the Science Museum last Saturday. Enjoyed the movie too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your post about your adventures in the big city. It was interesting how you mixed in your bones with dinosaur bones. I liked your mom’s comments. They show how important it is to have a good editor. Keep on writing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment