Skip to main content

Torsgad November 24, 2022

Writers' Constipation? Hardly.

    

Imagine losing anything in this office?

     Mr. Hot Cocoa’s November 22, 2022 blog post about writer’s block got me thinking (which it was meant to do obviously, thanks John) that, as of that date, the six of us Wannaskan Almanac writers have collectively published 1776 blog post entries, once a week, since January 8th, 2018; which vaguely corresponds to the number of entries to Chairman Joe’s diary since that time as well.

    Mine, not so much. I wrote journals -- lengthy tomes for a few years, but let things slip eventually. Full-time employment, farm ownership, and other responsibilities ate into my ability to sit down at will and write whatever I deemed worthy, unless I purposely stole a few minutes from my routine (much to the disappointment of my employers in the form of ‘corrective action slips’.)

    Writing there, was both a blessing and a curse. The blessing came in the form of a referral to the Roseau Times-Region by the head of the toy factory’s HR manager at the time. I created a weekly column about the toy factory which lasted about a year; as curiously, did the manager. (Another story for another entry)
 
    My 4-year 11-month commitment to the Wannaskan Almanac is my saving grace, at least to the point of reliably meeting a deadline. I never thought that coming up with a new story/post each week would become so challenging, but it has.

    At some point, somebody sympathetic person gave me the book, “642 Tiny Things To Write About,” compiled by The San Francisco Writers’ Grotto. (Chronicle Books/ 2014) that I’ve recently rediscovered in my library of vastly assorted titles. A shout-out to whomever gifted me this book: Thanks!

    So, starting next week, I should have 642 more blog post entry ideas (roughly 12 years worth) at my fingertips --unless it gets misplaced again, somewhere hereabouts.

Comments

  1. Ah tis a wonderful day, for I have received a mention!

    ReplyDelete

  2. I am very grateful for the writers here at the Almanac:

    Jack Pine Savage: our preeminent poet and poetry elucidator.
    Mr. Hot Coco: cannot be categorized. In the fungi (fun-guy) family.
    Joe -Wednesday's Child: Dr. Frankenword (in a good way). Muse to pramsters.
    WannaskaWriter: never been blocked. Not with Raven archives in his vault.
    Chairman Joe: Mr. Modesty.
    Kim Hruba: Keeping it real.

    Happy Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your "office" looks a bit like a squidge nest. (See my comment to the Chairman's post of tomorrow.) Still, it shows dedication, a gathering of resources, and place to plunk the ol' pumpkin. Can't be all bad. At least you look more organized than I am.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment