Skip to main content

Afoot and Light-hearted

Hello and welcome to a post-summer solstice Saturday here at the Wannaskan Almanac. Today is June 25th. Yep, folks, the days are getting shorter.

Afoot and light-hearted I take to the open road,
Healthy, free, the world before me,
The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose.

This first stanza of Walt Whitman's poem "Song of the Open Road" is printed on the cover of my most recent journal. I look at it often before I open it up to the next blank page to write down my thoughts. I admire those people who chronicle their days, recording the everyday stories of  their lives. That they jot a note when the peonies start to bloom or write down the recipe they tried for supper that was especially tasty. For years, I've been telling myself I ought to keep a log of meals cooked so when I ask, "What should we have for dinner," I get more than "Pizza!" or, worse, a blank mental slate. 

My summer theme is adventure and this journal I write in reminds me of it everyday. So does having kids at home. I've often said that summer is when the parenting really kicks in and it's all hands on deck. Summer is a big job I used to sort of both dread and embrace. How will I get my work done and play? However, I think two summers of pandemic, has reminded me of the value - the perks - of running with the kids, afoot and lighthearted, after the last school bell rings. These last two days are a great example of just that.

We hit the road Thursday morning, the two youngest and I, singing, "Oh, we're on our way, we're on our way, on our way to grandpa's farm..." we not only sang about the animals that would make sense on Grandpa's farm, i.e. big brown cow, and a little red hen, and a big black dog, etc., we also imagined long slithery snakes, big green bullfrogs, a bunny with a top hat and a red, white, and blue rheumatism crutch (Uncle Wiggily), and - my favorite - big hairy grandpas. Raffi's "Down on Grandpa's Farm" has become the official anthem of our summer adventures.

"Are we there yet? Are we there yet?" was replaced with a selection of snacks the kids happily munched on while we listened to Don Quixote on Audible. The Fifth Grader already loves stories that are at least one hundred years old (hence, Uncle Wiggly), so she was especially delighted when I told her that Don Quixote was written over 500 years ago. ("Did he know Jesus?") The surprise I've discovered in reading Don Quixote is how funny it is. Cervantes had a great sense of humor. The Fifth Grader laughed right along with me when we got to the part about how Don Quixote is going to save the bearded ladies lest they go to hell while the Second Grader wiled away his time looking at Pokemon cards.

A stop along the way included dropping off an old winged back chair to be refurbished. The guy who's doing the job lives in the country, 6 miles south of a busy central Minnesota highway, with a pair of dogs, a pair of geese, a brood of chickens, and three roosters (never two, but three is okay, we learned). It's been hot and humid across Minnesota, so ice cream and cold drinks were served up.

Eventually we made it to my aunt's house. Even though my aunt lives in a new house in town, some of her items remind me of my childhood when we all lived on Round Lake, namely the blue plastic dessert cups and my grandmother's collection of Japanese glass fishing floats.

My aunt knows how to roll with kids. She played Tenzi and watched TV with them; the kids' pick Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir, then her pick Designing Women.

Friday morning, kids and I started the day learning how to play Zeke's Gold Grab! ("There's a game in them thar cards!") Similar to Crazy Eights' spin-off into the popular card game Uno, Gold Grab is a twist on Whist. Playing cards with the kids reminded me of my summers as a kid. For whatever reason, I associate playing cribbage with cabins, and well, being at my aunt's has the feel of being at a cabin.

When you live at the proverbial "end of the Earth" like we do in Wannaska country, folks know to be sure to get in their shopping when they find themselves back in civilization. After a morning visiting with my aunt, we headed into town to the mall. "What's a mall?" the Fifth Grader asked. I waxed nostalgic about malls and my youth and looked forward to sharing the wonders of malls with her. First stop: Joann Fabrics. As I analyzed upholstery fabrics, Miss Patty assisted the First Grader in selecting fabric for a Pokemon blanket. I spent so long hemming and hawing over the best fabric pick, I felt like we'd practically become kin with Miss Patty, Peggy, and Penny when we finally checked out. Then we spent another hour in Kingmaker Games, where the Second Grader got to ooh and aah over tons of Pokemon stuff. His birthday's in August, but, hey, like I said about the shopping thing, when you have a chance to actually touch the stuff and hold it in your hands - instead of shopping online - you don't waste the opportunity. He came away with some new Pokemon cards and the binder of his dreams. The mall even had a Claire's Boutique. The Fifth Grader pored over the jewelry options. I offered to get her ears pierced. She declined.

In the evening, we hopped on our bikes and rode the few short blocks down to the public beach. In my own childhood, swimming was my most favorite summer activity. As we splashed and played in the cool water, it occurred to me that the kids had spent the entire day device-free, another hallmark to my childhood when us kids living on the lake did the same. In that moment, I felt such gratitude.

With two adult children now and the third nearly there, I find myself wistful - not only about my childhood but about my children's. In the last two months, when I've looked at my older children, I remember back to when they were little, when I biked to town with them or took day trips to the beach. It makes me feel, well, the word that echoes throughout today's post - nostalgic.

The blessing to be had in still having two elementary-age children, is there is still ample time and space for wonder and adventure. I have a lifestyle and a job that allow me the flexibility to play with my kids; to teach them and be with them as they discover the joys of adventure. I have more patience and more wisdom this time around. I know not to rush childhood but to revel in it; to delight.

On This Day

Historic Highlights (credits)

1993 - Both Canada and Turkey elect female heads of government for the first time
Kim Campbell became Canada's and Tansu Çiller Turkey's Prime Minister on this day. Worldwide, women in top political positions are still the exception.

1967 - The world's first live global satellite TV program is aired
The BBC program “Our World” featured artists from 19 countries. The Beatles premiered their song “All You Need Is Love” on the show. Some 400 million viewers tuned in.

1950 - The Korean War begins as North Korea invades South Korea
The war soon evolved into an international conflict and a proxy war between the U.S. and the Soviet Union, leading to fears of a new World War. It was ended by an armistice in 1953.

1947 - The Diary of Anne Frank is published
The Jewish girl's account of her life in hiding from the Nazis has become a well-known work of world literature and made Anne one of the most prominent victims of the Nazi regime. She died at age 15 in the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp.

1910 - Igor Stravinsky's ballet “The Firebird” is premiered
The work was performed by Sergei Diaghilev's legendary ballet company “Ballets Russes”. It was a huge success, catapulting Stravinsky to stardom.

Happy Birthday to You!🎶 


1963 - George Michael, English singer-songwriter, musician, producer, actor

1961 - Ricky Gervais, English comedian, actor, writer

1924 - Sidney Lumet, American director

1903 - George Orwell, English author

1852 - Antoni Gaudí, Spanish architect designed the Park Güell

Remembering You

2009 - Michael Jackson, American singer-songwriter, producer, dancer, actor

1997 - Jacques Cousteau, French biologist, author, inventor, co-developed the aqua-lung

1984 - Michel Foucault, French philosopher

1822 - E. T. A. Hoffmann, German jurist, author

1767 - Georg Philipp Telemann, German composer


Find adventure in all you do and make it a great Saturday. 

Kim 

Source


Comments

  1. You’re afoot and light-hearted, and so are your kids.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment