Skip to main content

Valentine's Recap

Hello and welcome to the 1,500th post of the blog which, lucky me, falls on a Saturday here at the Wannaskan Almanac. Today is February 19th.

The First Grader reporting here for my mom. We just had Valentine's Day. Valentine's Day means one thing to me and that's candy. That's how I feel. My sister read her story, Valentine's Day. Mom put it on her blog last year. It's about a boy named Joe and Valentine's Day. First a ball, January is over and now it's February and he hates this month the most because it has Valentine's Day. Second a ball, this girl named Landa likes Joe. She writes him notes and leaves them in his locker. Third a ball, Joe has a really nice mom who makes him heart pancakes. Fourth a ball, in the end, they figure out how to be friends. My sister drew some pretty good pictures. I liked those best. But, worst a ball, there was no actual candy to eat from the story. I had to use my imagination because I ate all my candy at my class party.

Valentine's Day is gross because it has all this kissing stuff. My brothers have girlfriends and I bet they do all that stuff even though they're not supposed to. Only moms and dads can do that. I told them so but they don't listen to me because I'm just a little kid. I hate being a little kid. Everyone else gets to do what they want but I don't get to do what I want.

Anyway, Mom made ovocne knedliky - that's Czech for fruit dumplings. Mom hasn't made knedliky in years. So that's why she made them for Valentine's Day because she loves us.

Hey, I want to write something on mom's blog! This is the Fourth Grader. After I read my book, Valentine's Day, I got the idea to make a new book about Halloween with the characters of Joe and Landa. It's like the Valentine's story but Halloween-ish and in October with candy in the end. I got to Chapter 4 already and I started it yesterday. Right now, I'm at the part where Land sends the second letter to Joe. It's going to be very interesting. Like veeeerrrrrryyyyyy interesting. VERY interesting. There'll be like a dance party like the last story, and some crying business, like in the last story, too. 

I want to play Minecraft right now. 

Okay, the Oldest is here via video chat. I'm indifferent to Valentine's Day. My mom's not allowed to blog about me. This is a non-negotiable. You have two other kids, you know.

Okay, mom, here. The other two kids are at Robotics. (Thanks, kids, for writing for the blog!) While the Fourth Grader gets back to her manuscript, I'll wrap up the Valentine's Recap.

The nicest valentine I got from the children was when Senior 2.0 decided to cancel his dinner reservation at a local restaurant and bring his sweetheart to our house for the, not the fluffiest but still tasty, plum and apple dumplings. (Cooking note: If you usually use Natural Way Mills Gold-n-White flour like I do, this flour does not do justice to proper fruit dumplings. Use regular all-purpose instead.)

My engineer husband wins for this year's most thoughtful valentine. First, he gave me a single red rose - an especially significant and sentimental gesture because a single red rose is what he gifted me on our very first date over two decades ago. He also gave me brownie-flavored M&Ms. If I close my eyes, the M&Ms do, in fact, have a brownie taste. The flavor is otherwise reminiscent of the chocolate-scented chocolate cupcake eraser from the First Grader's Valentine loot. My husband also brought treats for the kids. As he doled out the delights to each of our children, he dug further into the bag and presented bags of chocolate for the boys' girlfriends, too. To me, this was the sweetest gesture of all.


On This Day

Historic Highlights (credits)

2008 - Fidel Castro steps down as Cuba's president
Castro was 81 years old at the time and had been in power for 49 years.

1986 - The “Mir” Space Station is launched
The Soviet vehicle was the world's first modular space station and remained in orbit for 15 years.

1985 - Iberia Airlines Flight 610 crashes
All 148 people on board died in the accident that was blamed on pilot error.

1945 - U.S. troops land on the Japanese island of Iwo Jima
The photo showing 4 marines erecting a U.S. flag on the island has become one of the best-known images of World War II.

1878 - Thomas Edison patents the phonograph
It was the first machine able to reproduce recorded sound.

Happy Birthday to You!🎶 


1963 - Seal, English singer-songwriter

1957 -  Falco, Austrian singer-songwriter

1953 - Cristina Fernández de Kirchner, Argentinian politician, 55th President of Argentina

1865 - Sven Hedin, Swedish geographer, explorer

1473 - Nicolaus Copernicus, Polish mathematician, astronomer

Remembering You

2001 - Stanley Kramer, American director

2000 - Friedensreich Hundertwasser, Austrian/New Zealand painter, architect, designed the Kuchlbauer Tower, Waldspirale

1997 - Deng Xiaoping, Chinese politician, diplomat

1952 - Knut Hamsun, Norwegian writer, Nobel Prize laureate

1916 - Ernst Mach, Austrian physicist

Love your people, buy peanut or plain M&Ms instead, and make it a great Saturday. 

Kim




Comments

  1. Fifteen hundred posts! That’s impressive. It’s nice to have child-writers in your house to give you a break.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment