Skip to main content

Valentine's Day Eve

 Hello and welcome to another toasty Saturday here at the Wannaskan Almanac. Just kidding! It's still ffffff-errrrrrr-eeeeeee-zzzzz-ing out here in Wannaska country. Today is February 13th.

Doesn't that date sound ominous? Maybe it's the alliteration that's got me. (Something the Third Grader is learning all about now.) So similarly resonant with Friday the 13th.

And, well, it is the day before Valentine's Day which is enough to strike fear in the hearts of anyone responsible for procuring the requisite tokens of affection for those in your life worthy of such expressions of love.

After twenty years of marriage, honestly, I'm thinking more about getting my kids' bases covered than my own. If you have elementary school-aged children, it all starts with the dreaded Valentine box.

Don't get me wrong. I love art. Really! And eventually, the boxes (usually) turn out super cute. But, you see - and, yes, I recognize this will sound like a totally dumb confession - because we rarely eat cereal, we don't have any cereal boxes, which are the usual go-to for reliable Valentine box architecture.

So, right out of the gate, stress begins to drip like hot water through a coffeemaker as I rummage through our collective crap in the garage for some other box that will do the trick. Fortunately, I can usually find Amazon boxes that will work. But beware! If the kids think they've got choices, they're liable to pick the ginormous box your teen son's winter boots came in.

I suspect that even teachers are getting savvy on the box issue. I've seen (and made) many a Valentine "box" and the cleverest design of them all has been the Ziploc bag plastered with Valentine stickers. Slap-and-dash and all done by the kiddos. Genius!

The first pang of anxiety strikes with the arrival of the teacher's note laying out all of the Valentine expectations. The first order of business: will my child have to make the box at home? *searches paper* Bless the good Lord, I've been saved this year. Boxes (in air quotes or otherwise) will be made at school fulfilling the objective called "Art."

Next up are the Valentine's Day cards. Now, who gets a Valentine is of little consequence at this age. It's simple: everyone in the class, plus the teacher, and the bus driver and the lunch staff, or the hall monitor - it really depends on how many you have left over - assuming they are store-bought valentines. Aaah. And therein lies the rub.

This is oddly where my art muse does kick in. For all my grousing about Valentine's Day, I actually have very fond memories of making valentines (during class) from my own childhood. It was the only time of year I got to enjoy the lace intricacy of white paper doilies and could relish the symmetry of a perfectly cut out heart. I'm not the craftiest gal, but goldarnit, there is something to be said for making one's own valentines! The act itself - cutting, coloring, gluing, painstakingly writing out one's 7-lettered name eighteen times - is love manifest!

For many years, this was the one time in the year (folks, I don't even do this for Halloween), I'd pull out construction paper, scissors, stickers, stamps, ink pads, glue - even glitter, for crying out loud - to get my kids in the mood of feeling - well, obviously not amorous (or lovey-dovey or mooshy-gooshy) but - grateful. 

Love often feels for me like an expression of gratitude. "Thank you for being you." "I like who you are." "Sometimes I don't like you very much, but you're in my class, so here - a peace offering."

"Happy Valentine's Day."

Unfortunately, with as many years of parenting in my wake as I have - and still in the thick of elementary school years! - my passion for Valentine's Day has dimmed. Cooled. Like any love affair, these feelings morph and mature over time. I admit that I'm tempted by the shortcuts. In fact, I just paused typing this so I could text the hubs to remind him to buy valentines and treats for the kids' parties tomorrow. (The best ones are the treats that already have Valentine's wishes on them with space for kids to write their names.)

However, just when I thought I was ready to give myself a pass this year, something truly love-inspiring happened.

With no urging on my part, the Third Grader gathered up paper, envelopes, stickers, markers, the lollipops dad had bought (no store-bought wishes in sight despite the text), rallied her little brother, and retreated to their shared bedroom. From the hallway, we listened to the sounds of industrious kid-bustling behind the closed door. 

Do you know what cooperation sounds like? Whispers of paper folding, quiet scissor snips, the squeak of markers, low murmurs, all encapsulated in a sense of peace.

An hour later, both kids emerged from their room with satisfied grins, like surgeons coming away from a successful operation.

💝


On This Day

Historic Highlights (credits)

2008 - Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd apologizes to Indigenous Australians for the “stolen generations”
Between 10 and 30 percent of Aboriginal and Torres Islander children were removed from their families until the 1960s.

2004 - The universe's largest known diamond is discovered
BPM 37093 is a white dwarf star about 50 light-years from Earth and was nicknamed “Lucy” after The Beatles' song “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds”.

2000 - The last “Peanuts” comic strip is published
The 17,897th-and-last installment was published in newspapers around the world on the day following the death of its creator, Charles M. Schulz.

1991 - Two “smart bombs” kill at least 408 civilians in Baghdad
The Amiriyah shelter bombing was one of the worst cases of civilian killings during “Operation Desert Storm”.

1945 - The German city of Dresden is destroyed by a bombing raid
According to estimates, up to 25,000 people were killed in the raids that lasted 3 days.



Happy Birthday to You!🎶 

1974 - Robbie Williams, English singer-songwriter, producer, actor

1950 - Peter Gabriel, English singer-songwriter, producer

1946 - Richard Blumenthal, American politician

1849 - Lord Randolph Churchill, English politician, Chancellor of the Exchequer

1835 - Mirza Ghulam Ahmad, Indian religious leader, founded the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community

Remembering You

2002 - Waylon Jennings, American singer-songwriter, musician

1883 - Richard Wagner, German composer, director

1787 - Ruđer Bošković, Croatian physicist, astronomer, mathematician

1728 - Cotton Mather, American minister

1662 - Elizabeth Stuart, Queen of Bohemia


Stay warm, love your people, and make it a great Saturday.

Kim 



Comments

  1. Kimberly? That eight letters. You said 7.
    Couldn’t you have shortened your name to three letters for the sake of efficiency?
    And if you don’t eat cereal, what do you have in the morning? I read breakfast is the most important meal of the day in the Czech Republic. Do you bake kolache, buchty, bublanina, and babovka to go with the cheese and salami? Do all the kids have coffee. Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I was thinking of the Kindergartener who has 7 letters. The poor kid! I told him he can just write an "A" and call it good. Breakfast at our house can look like a few different things: oatmeal, melted cheese on bread (we call this "gooey sandvahzh"), fruit, fried eggs, English muffins, bagels, or sometimes "egg muffins" that slaps all that egg, cheese, English muffin goodness together. I've even been known to make homemade granola. The youngest three kids LOVE when I make "coffee" which has generous splashes of milk and sugar or honey. ;)

      Delete
    2. P.S. Buchta for dinner and leftovers for breakfast. ;) Bublanina! Now that's something I haven't made in awhile and I even have a new recipe for it. Kolache - uffda! That's a lot of work! LOL!

      Delete

Post a Comment