Skip to main content

Wannaskan Almanac for September 29, 2020 Bringing People Together

Immaterial

Battle

Aardvark

These are all words that I dislike.  It is a total waste of letters.  All those double letters...what a waste of time, space, and ink!

While double letters don't seem to need to be brought together, what does need to be brought together is people.  I like to think of myself as one of those people who creates a sense of community.  The following (nearly) true episode demonstrates this.

It started on a Saturday.  My dear wife was going to a women's conference at our church.  They wanted everyone to bring a main dish and a dessert, so my wife (I am intentionally leaving her name out to protect the innocent) made up some cherry bars and bean and bacon casserole.  They didn't eat it all at the conference, so she brought some home.




Even though I should know better, I succumbed to the desire to eat some of the leftover casserole for supper that night.  I always want to add a little spice to it, so I rooted around in the fridge and found a bottle of hot sauce.  I applied a generous portion and tasted the product.  It didn't taste quite right so I added more...and more...each time tasting it and deciding it wasn't quite right.

I finished the bowl of casserole and, since I was feeling a little queasy all of a sudden, asked my wife what the expiration date on the hot sauce was.  She looked at it and then the evening took a rather disappointing turn.  "It expired in 2014," she said, with that exasperated voice I have learned means, "You're an idiot."



Going to sleep with a stomach full of beans, bacon, and expired hot sauce is a recipe for a much less than refreshing sleep.  Noises escaped me with regularity.  At about 4 AM, I started hearing a different noise.  It was the awesome bang-thump of someone's stereo.  I thought to myself that surely this loud yet strangely soothing annoyance would lull me to sleep.  It didn't work.

I got up and wandered outside and what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a bunch of parked cars with a party going on...near.  I stared at the revelers, trying to give them my evil teacher stare...the one that always makes even the noisiest student cringe and turn their voice off.  It didn't work on the party guests.  They just continued pounding out music and sowing beer bottles and cans around our neighborhood.  It was at this point that my heart softened a bit.  I mean, they were just having a little fun, and the people six blocks away were probably barely even able to hear them!

Then it dawned on me.  I knew that this was a time to relax, let off some steam, and have a good time.  I thought over the things that have happened over the last several months and I realized that there were a lot of people who hadn't been having a good time lately...especially the police!  The media had been giving the police a lot of bad rap, so I decided to invite them to that party.  That just might cheer those poor media weary cops up!

I placed the call, and they did seem very interested in attending a loud, boisterous party.  Sure enough, about 15 minutes later the police showed up.  I could tell that they were excited to be there because they put on some party lights and right away joined in with the yelling and shouting that was making the party so enjoyable.  I had the impression that they thought there was going to be a piƱata there because the police all took out these black sticks and started swinging them around...for practice I assumed.  Anyway, to make a long story short it seemed like the police did make some friends because they loaded up some of the people there into their cars and went off together...probably to find another party!

File photo...not from actual party

So after all that, I can just say I am glad that I brought people together.  For me it is all about community.

Till next week,

Buh bye!

Comments

Post a Comment