Skip to main content

Thursday September 24th, 2020

“I don’t complain much, well, in this forum, but since it offers me the opportunity, I’m going to have to unload on a matter that I’m sure doesn’t affect 99.9% of any one who reads this almanac. I must be that one percent of people who wish there was a “Shut the fook up,” button on Gas Station TV. “Chairman Joe broached the subject on September 22, 2019. Among his other great Sunday Squibs was: Gas pump options: Debit/Credit; Premium/Regular; Car Wash: Y/N; Mute Annoying TV in Pump: Yes!” “It simply has to happen.

There are distractions enough at a busy gas station when a raucous family coming back from the lake pulls in with five various-aged kids leaping from the four-door pickup with various degrees of sunburn, attitude, and limited attire, and all dash toward the convenience store creating traffic hazards for people coming into and leaving the pumps. “As you fill your car, the pump nozzle doesn’t quit automatically and instead back-splashes fuel onto your hands and shoes even though you tried listening for the ‘full-up’ noise at your gas tank filler tube but you couldn’t hear it because some jackass on Gas Station TV was talking about the latest ball game or tail-gate recipe somewhere, or someone’s wife was loudly complaining, that the smell of gasoline makes her nauseous and how rude it was that tourists block the pumps for several minutes while they walk about the store looking for that certain beverage or snack.”

 

The above blog post was originally dated to be published September 26, 2019, but was replaced by a scathing criticism I wrote about the glaring inaccuracy of Minnesota’s Unemployment Rate posting. Post-Birthday girl Jackpine Savage commented on it: here

However, my opinion of Gas Station TV remains relevant even a year later. Oh, I get it now. With fewer numbers of people visiting gas pumps these days, because of home confinement rulings and unenforced limitation of public gatherings, any friendly, non-threatening face exhibiting unmasked enthusiasm is supposedly welcomed into our lives as we merrily fill our gas tanks. 

I use industrial-strength ear plugs. Okay, so I’m not liable to hear anyone shout “Your tank is over-flowing!” But neither would those idiots who start the pump and then get back in their car to check out their cellphone. At least I’m vigilant to the extent that I am outside my car watching the dollars click past, observing traffic going by, and at the same time trying to ignore that obnoxious TV blathering away at my chin. Yes, there should be a mute button. Good idea CJ!

Comments


  1. We can endure war, famine, and pestilence. It’s the little things like nattering gas pumps that will destroy us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, you say . . .

    The ''Savage" link takes one directly to a page that defines the Unemployment Rate Formula.

    For anyone who is interested, the "Reader's Digest" version that I wrote on 26 Sept 19 is below. Skip to the second last line and today, I would have to amend my comment on "willing and able." What a difference a year and an itsy-bitsy virus can make.
    Here's the excerpt:

    Jack Pine Savage September 26, 2019 at 11:01 AM
    As a CPA, I can shed some light on this subject. In short, I googled it:
    The formula for unemployment rate is: Unemployment Rate = Number of Unemployed Persons / Labor Force. The labor force is the sum of unemployed and employed persons. By dividing the number of individuals whom are unemployed by labor force, you'll find the labor force participation, or unemployment rate. The labor force is defined simply as the people who are willing and able to work (i.e., they don't have to be employed).
    See: https://www.thebalance.com/unemployment-rate-formula-3305515
    It's that dang "willing and able" that is tricky.
    You are welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. I recently retired for the second time. I am no longer willing to be employed, but I am willing to do unpaid work at my own pace: preparing meals, clearing brush (a never-ending task), controlling rodents, commenting on books as a beta reader, and writing blog posts. I do all this because I am able.

      Delete
  3. Loved your muse today, WW! I have to say, you inspired me to take a playful tone in my upcoming Saturday post. Stay tuned!

    P.S. Totally noticed your reference to quirky grandparents a few weeks back. Thank you for that cameo appearance!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment