Skip to main content

Sunday Squibs




Each era thinks it's living in a time of decline. But wanting to return to the "Golden Age" is like wishing the ebbing tide was full again.

We get rivalries and villains to spice up the monotony of sports. Beer helps too.

Politicians get dinged for not knowing the cost of a gallon of milk. But just ask them the cost of a minute of TV time.

Those wishing to avoid the battle of the sexes should remain in the DMZ of bachelorhood.

There are those we love and are loving more; those we love and are loving less; those we hate and are hating more; those we hate and are hating less. Christianity orders us to move them all into the first category.

Chairman Joe


Comments

  1. Every one a winner.

    "Argue for your limitations and you get to keep them." Richard Bach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rather like my limitations. I rest my laurels on them.

      Delete
  2. Growing old, in our later years, enables us to forget exactly why we disliked someone so, and what it was that happened, so that when you meet them, unexpectedly -and they've forgotten too -- you happily discover that you have so much in common. It's about that time when your spouse or close friend pulls you to the side and says, "You guys make up? I thought you two were at each other's throats."

    I knew a guy at the Toy Factory, who riled me, as I did him apparently; obviously we didn't get along. We were two elements of spontaneous combustion in the same same space; we had nothing good to say about the other. Some days I hated to go to work just knowing he'd be there (perfect attendance). Then one day, he came walking up and handed me my wallet that had fallen from my back pocket and off the forklift I had been driving. I was speechless.

    Here was a guy who could've easily kicked my wallet under a warehouse shelf where I would have never found it, saving me making telephone calls, cancelling credit cards; bank issues, licensing renewals, etc. I've felt humiliation like that very few times in my life as I did in that moment. I feel small even recalling that day. Changed everything.

    I even remember his now-grown daughters names: Marilyn and Dorothy, who were named after their grandmothers. I see his lovely wife at the pharmacy and ask about him on occasion, in appreciation of his kind gesture all those years ago.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment