Skip to main content

Keep on Keeping On

Hello and welcome to a bright, albeit cold, but sunny Saturday here at the Wannaskan Almanac.Today is January 11th. How are those resolutions going?

Assuming you're human and ergo imperfect by design, I'm guess you have already skipped an exercise day, sneaked a chocolate, or slept in instead of waking up an hour early to pray, meditate, or write in your journal. And if you haven't, I bet you at least thought about it.

For me, 2020 got off to a wonky start. I just couldn't muster the requisite surge of optimism which is unusual because I fall into the category of folks who tend to be especially perky no matter what time of year it is. I'm the gal who always looks forward to new beginnings and new adventures. Who loves to bail on tradition and eat pizza for Thanksgiving? Who drives to Las Vegas with her grandparents on Christmas Eve and celebrates Christmas with a comedy show and an all-you-can-eat buffet? Who skips the Independence Day parade to hike to Minnesota's Eagle Mountain - when she's six months pregnant? Who says YES! when her mother asks her on a whim to fly to Phoenix for a hot weekend in July? Who just organized a vision board making night at the Warroad Public Library for Thursday, January 30th from 5pm-8pm?

Me. That's who. So, this lack of enthusiasm for the new year is a real head scratcher.

I thought it might have to do with the distress I feel about the current state of world affairs. Or maybe it stems from my general joy found in bucking the system. Or perhaps it's because my resolutions have gone stale. Every year I resolve to do the same things: exercise more, lose (more) weight, write more, get up before the crack of dawn so I can create more, do more, be more, etc. Maybe that's the problem: more, more, more. In desiring a "more," is it possible I'm telling myself that who I am and what I am doing now is not enough?

The truth is, I like myself and feel pretty good about who I am. Sure, I could be kinder, nicer, more generous, more patient - but these are things I'm already trying to do every day; they are things I pray about daily and are the first things on my reconciliation list when I go to confession.

Lord knows I do enough doing. There will never be enough time to do all the doing I aspire to do and I have long since discarded the Super Mom cape. The truth is I don't like getting up early in the morning. Even with the best of intentions, I still don't like getting up early in the morning. Does this make me a bad person? Does it mean that I have failed? I don't think so.

Rather than shove another expectation into my day or onto my already overly expectation-laden plate, how about I work with what I have and try to make the most of each day and leave it at that? How about, instead of "new beginnings," my 2020 resolution is to "keep on keepin' on?"

To borrow from Dr. Seuss, "Life's a great balancing act," and that never stops no matter what year we're living in.

It would be out of character, not to mention rude, not to embrace my Wannaskan Minnesota Nice, so after much contemplation, here are my 2020 resolutions:

1. #noschadenfreudein2020

It's an unfortunate guilty pleasure finding joy in another's misfortune. Schadenfreude is what drives reality shows, daytime soap operas and gossip and I admit to falling for its fickle affections. Because I consider 2019 to have been a year of alarming divisiveness, I pledge 2020 to be a year of compassion. I will resist the urge to say, "I told you so," and refrain from laughing at other people's foibles and missteps unless I'm watching FailArmy, in which case, that's the whole point. (Note: Their tagline is, "Every success begins with a fail.")

2. Get back to the novel writing

After a nine-month hiatus, I recognize it's time to get back in the saddle. The break was much welcomed. I rested, I read, I wrote about a lot of other things. I attended WordPlay, The Priory Writer's Retreat and the North Shore Readers and Writers Festival. I learned a lot, enjoyed the company of fellow writers, and was challenged both intellectually and emotionally. The agreement with myself is to just show up. No word count goals, no page goals, no deadlines. Just. Show. Up.

3. Appreciate what I have 

I have a wonderfully abundant life. When a person is as blessed as I am, it hardly seems reasonable to wish for any more. I have an awesome pair of snowshoes my mom gave me. We have a winter that has graced us (so far) with lots of snow and warm enough temps to be able to enjoy it. I have kids to play with and an able body with which to do any number of things. (Like snowshoeing!) I live in a beautiful location that people choose to visit for their vacation. I have friends and family who choose to love me just the way I am. I believe that I can be part of making the world a better place. And I have a heart full of adventure.


On This Day

Historic Highlights (credits)

2002 - The first prisoners arrive in Guantanamo Bay
Following reports of torture, Amnesty International called the situation at the US detention camp a “human rights scandal”.

1985 - The first Rock in Rio music festival is held
A whopping 1.5 million people attended, making it the world's largest music festival.

1962 - A massive landslide kills 4,000 in Peru
Nine villages in the Río Santa Valley were engulfed by a 12-meter wall of rock and ice.

1935 - Amelia Earhart flies solo from Hawaii to the U.S. mainland
She was the first person to achieve this feat. Her journey took her from Honolulu to Oakland, California.

1922 - Insulin is used for the first time to treat diabetes
14-year-old Leonard Thompson was the first person to receive the medication to combat his Type 1 diabetes.

Happy Birthday to You!🎶 

1979 - Siti Nurhaliza, Malaysian singer-songwriter, producer

1973 - Rahul Dravid, Indian cricketer

1971 - Mary J. Blige, American singer-songwriter, producer, actress

1934 - Jean Chrétien, Canadian politician, 20th Prime Minister of Canada

1755 - Alexander Hamilton, Nevisian/American economist, politician, philosopher, 1st United States Secretary of the Treasury

Remembering You

2014 - Ariel Sharon, Israeli general, politician, 11th Prime Minister of Israel

2013 - Nguyen Khanh, Vietnamese general, politician, 3rd President of South Vietnam

2013 - Aaron Swartz, American computer programmer, activist

2008 - Edmund Hillary, New Zealand mountaineer, explorer

1941 - Emanuel Lasker, German chess player

Take stock of what you've got, keep on keeping on, and make it a great Saturday!

Kim

Here's a YouTube link to the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-l91O9VxN0

Comments

  1. The snowshoe trails of South Wannaska await.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good news: Lots of fresh snow this week.
      Bad news: -40F wind chill.
      Good news: Winter lasts a long time in Wannaska.

      Can't wait to get out there!

      Delete
  2. Your people sometimes get the Woo-flu this time of year. Drink plenty of caffeine, look at two aspirins twice a day, and call a friend whenever you become even faintly Wooless.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment