Skip to main content

All The Saints All The Time




   Welcome to Friday with Chairman Joe.
 
   Today is All Saints Day, when the church honors all the saints, known and unknown. The Catholic Church especially makes use of the strong spiritual bonds between the saints and us down here in the church militant. All my schooling was in Catholic schools until I joined the Navy, so I got a thorough indoctrination in the benefits of knowing the saints.
   Even the Navy, by no means a religious organization, has a patron saint in Michael the Archangel, best known for kicking Satan out of Heaven. The Navy's job is to resist evil, even if it means killing people. Saints are saints because they've resisted evil, preferably starting with the evil within themselves. Saints also do good when they can.
   During my time in school, I learned about God, but even the pope says it's impossible to truly know God. God sent prophets to bring us his laws and lambast us when we did wrong. Jesus came with a message of love, but he set high standards. Turn the other cheek. Sell what you have and give to the poor. A lot of people could not relate to that. So we got the saints. People like us. Imperfect as they were, they at least tried.
   All the apostles are saints. And Saint Paul who spread the word. He too was a tough act to follow. Saint Peter is a little more sympathetic. He actually denied Jesus. And Jesus forgave him. Forgiveness is huge with Jesus. So we can always find a saint to suit our foibles. There are saints for drunks, for thieves, for those who've hit rock bottom.
   In elementary school. all my classmates were named after saints. Even our middle names were supposed to be saint's names. I remember the nun one day humiliating one kid because his middle name was Truman. I hope little John Truman was able to forgive Sister N.
   We were regularly marched over to the big Romanesque church across the street to participate in liturgical ceremonies. I enjoyed the breath of fresh air away from classwork and the chance to gather wool under the lofty ceilings of Holy Name Church.
   Oftentimes we heard a recitation of the litany of the saints. It started with God, then Jesus, the Holy Ghost, the archangels, and moved on down through the apostles, the evangelists, the martyrs (Saint Stephen), and we in the pews would respond, "Have mercy on us," after each name. Every so often there would be a phrase such as "All you holy angels and archangels," to make sure no one got missed. We then moved on to a long list of saints, many of whom I'd never heard. But you'd perk up when you heard a familiar name: Saintt Ambrose, Saint Gregory, Saint Anthony.
   Saint Anthony! Now there was a saint I knew well. He was the saint to help you find missing items: "Something is lost cannot be found, please Saint Anthony look around." And it worked! It might take him awhile, a day, a week, possibly a year, but the thing always turned up, usually in a few minutes. I remember a priest once saying that it was a shame that Saint Anthony, Doctor of the Church that he was, was only remembered when we lost something. But I don't think Anthony minds a bit.
   So the saints, especially Mary, Jesus' mother, have provided great comfort to believers through the ages. Those things learned in youth haunt us forever. If they were bad things, it's best to exorcise them as best we can. But if they were good things, then may they have mercy on us.


Comments

  1. Saint Reynolds has another photograph featured on today's Wiktel home page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  2. I looked up Saint Reynolds just now and google came up with a map and 150th St--no kidding. I'm sooo lucky I'm not on Facebook or likely the world would even know I write my name on the inside waistline of my underwear, and in what font and size.

    However, the cartographer misspelled Mikinaak Creek as Mickinock Creek, the old official misspelling for an Ojibwe word for 'snapping turtle', a correction I am seeking to make as soon as I get around to it. It annoys me that they proliferate this obvious error, but then again, I've only brought it to the public's attention this morning, so what do I expect? Not sainthood, by any means.

    I reiterate I am no saint and far far from it. I don't want to list all the commandments I have trashed these past almost seven decades--and some two or three times. I was going through an old high school year book that I had forgotten I still possessed, and as I read my childish notations throughout it, I stumbled over a racist remark I had written. "Did I really used to talk like that?" I thought, then had to admit. "Yeah, I did, back when I was ignorant of such things." Hardly saintly then.

    None of my three wives would call me a saint without either throwing up or laughing hysterically, but then--if it was the latter, I am content I did succeed in providing at least one of the two attributes men traditionally bring to any marital relationship: reproduction and/or comedic relief. I was/am always good for a laugh at least, but no saintly behaviors.

    Maybe you ate too much Halloween candy.


    ReplyDelete
  3. As for the plethora of St. Catherines, take your pick: Siena, Alexandria, Bologna, Sweden, Drexel, Emmerick, and six more that Google found for me. Born a Catholic (yes, even in utero) I was named after the Siena saint. Her writings led her to be declared one of the few female Doctors of the Church.Her feast day is April 29, and she is the patron saint of fire prevention, a good skill when one lives in a Forest. And hey - "writing" - I call that a good match of saint to sinner!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment