Skip to main content

Sunday Squibs




When the road ahead is blocked by a wreck, we may say a prayer for those in the ambulance, but we're mostly worried about the ice cream melting in our back seat.

The thief takes. I pay. We both burden ourselves with things we don't need.

You have a need to tell me something and I am willing to listen.
You also want to tell me the details, but I'm not willing to understand.

Appreciation without envy. Admiration without a desire to copy.
This is the goal of the true connoisseur.

"Judge not, lest ye be judged."
I better give up watching the nightly news.

Chairman Joe

Comments

  1. "You want to tell me the details, but I'm not willing to understand," (i.e. listen.)

    There's a lot of that going around. I've experienced it a lot these past years. Maybe it's because I'm older than I've ever been and don't anticipate that the person to whom I am talking to be unwilling to listen further than, "Yes."

    It is similar to email correspondence, text messaging, -- and now person to person conversation; all communications are brief/get to the point exchanges often expressed with an air of impatience or a hint of sudden preoccupation.

    When I 'finally' pick up on it, I stop talking altogether, often in mid-sentence, and just sit quietly/amiably where we are, or leave the vicinity, miffed at myself for talking on so much, acting so chatty, having been taken in and interested in what the other person had to say at least out of courtesy; which, if you think about that word alone, courtesy was usually preceded by 'common.'

    My apologies for writing on like this: brevity isn't my best suit.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment