Skip to main content

November 5, 2109...A No Nonsense Note About Nothing

It is November.  This really surprised me, but nobody I know has been sitting there eagerly waiting for November 5 to show up.  Nobody has even been standing there waiting for November.  The beginning of November is that forgotten period where nothing is really that interesting.  November 11 is a great day for remembering those who served in our military.  Thanksgiving is a great time to remember to be thankful...I think some people forget that and just make it about overeating and shopping!  But the first week or so of November is a forgotten time...too cold to be outside, too boring to be inside...a time where you don't even feel like making cookies.  At least nobody in my house seems to feel like making them.

November 5 is Guy Fawkes Day.  Here in the good old U S of A we don't celebrate Guy Fawkes Day. It is a British event and it is also known as Guy Fawkes Night, Bonfire Night, and Firework Night.  This multi-named holiday dates back to the things that happened back in England in 1605.   However, to understand what this day is all about you have to go back to the 1530’s.  That was when King Henry the eighth (I am, I am) and the Pope were having a disagreement over King Henry's desire to have his marriage annulled.  This led to the British breaking off and forming their own church.  This eventually led to tensions and Guy Fawkes was one of a group of Catholic loyalists who devised a plan to blow up parliament.  They were caught, tortured, and killed.  I kind of shortened up the whole thing but you can read more about it here
So there you have it.  You can do nothing today.  Or you can celebrate Guy Fawkes Day.  Either way you could try baking some cookies of fresh bread or something just to make the house smell nice and make this Wannaskan Almanac writer drool a bit. 

Comments

  1. Inspired by your post, I've changed the quote beneath our blog title.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will not comment. I will not comment. I will not comment. Fawke, if I won't! I can imagine (and I do on occasion) good old Guy Fawke sitting in his class in high school (or equivalent thereof in those times and all) cringing during roll call when protocol required the teacher say last names first, and right after he/she said, . . . "Fawke, Guy" all the loud mouths in the room yelled "FAWKE Guy!! Whattya do this time, you Fawker?" Hooyah! I'm celebrating Guy Fawke Day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment