Skip to main content

November 26, 2019 How Do You Say Wannaska?

I was an outsider.  Definitely.  I was shunned from parties and pickup softball games.  I was not allowed to engage in political discussions or wear rubber boots to church.  I was a pariah.  Or was it a piranha?  Any way you slice it I was definitely not part of the "in" crowd.  The reason...I didn't know how the locals pronounce the letter "A" (any of them) in the word Wannaska. 
I have learned to fake it since way back then.  Often times I just say something like, "lets go to that little town where you grew up" to my wife.  Other times I mumble the word or pretend to cough while saying it.  By doing this I have become less repulsive to the Wannaska pronunciation purists, or at least they have become better at masking their hostility. 
Of course I am kidding.  The folks in Wannaska are some of the most wonderful people anywhere.  They are always eager to help a neighbor and genuinely care for each other.  They even reach out to people who can't pronounce their town's name. 
I was thinking of trying to figure out some of the strangest names for towns in Minnesota.  Locally, the town of Climax has always interested me.  I have always wanted to spend the night there...not alone mind you...but when you find out the real meaning behind the name it is far less...uh...exciting.  Climax was founded in 1896 and was named after a chewing tobacco company.  Apparently a climax back then wasn't as enjoyable as today, and could leave you with stained teeth and lip cancer.  I prefer the modern climax. 
Innuendo's aside, here are some interesting town names in Minnesota. 
Not proud of where you live?  Perhaps you call Embarrass home.
Feel like a Viking?  Perhaps you live in Pillager.  (Hey, that was a twofer!)
And what exactly is the secret of Nimrod?
My favorite Minnesota town is Little Canada.  We all should experience a little Canada now and then!
What are some unusual names for towns in the rest of America?  The following is a list of the strangest town name as voted on by a panel of Wannaskan Hillbillies. 
Alabama: Scratch Ankle
Alaska: Chicken
Arizona: Catfish Paradise
Arkansas: Toad Suck
California: Mormon Bar
Colorado: Parachute
Connecticut: Moosup
Delaware: Flea Hill
Florida: Spuds
Georgia: Flippen
Hawaii: Volcano
Idaho: Beer Bottle Crossing
Illinois: Chicken Bristle
Indiana: Santa Claus
Iowa: What Cheer
Kansas: Skiddy
Kentucky: Pig
Louisiana: Water Proof
Maine: Bald Head
Maryland: Accident
Massachusetts: Satan’s Kingdom
Michigan: Free Soil
Minnesota:  Little Canada or Climax…too close to call!
Mississippi: Possumneck
Missouri: Frankenstein
Montana: Big Sag
Nebraska: Worms
Nevada: Jackpot
New Hampshire: Dummer
New Jersey: Foul Rift
New Mexico: Pie Town
New York: Handsome Eddy
North Carolina: Why Not
North Dakota: Zap
Ohio: Dull
Oklahoma: Okay
Oregon: Boring
Pennsylvania: Coupon
Rhode Island: Woonsocket
South Carolina: Coward
South Dakota: Plenty Bears
Tennessee: Smartt
Texas: Ding Dong
Utah: Nibley
Vermont: Mosquitoville
Virginia: Fries
Washington: Big Bottom
West Virginia: Booger Hole
Wisconsin: Chili

Wyoming: Chugwater

What do you think of our list?  If you have any additions (or subtractions) feel free to comment below.  


Comments

  1. Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...I was going to go with Grygla but Joe you crushed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This thing about mispronouncing 'Wannaska' isn't uncommon even if you're not from there originally. I want to assure you that you're not the first nor will you be the last. I've heard many a Wannaska daughter coyly say, "Wan na saka."

    Everyone is familiar with pronouncing it slowly for business conducted on-line, "Wan-nask-ka."

    Wannaska residents, when meeting someone new say in Minneapolis, don't commonly say they're from Wannaska, they say they're from Roseau, which is easier to pronounce for most people and further correlated using Roseau High School Hockey jargon.

    In addition, Roseau can be referenced to its approximation to Canada and then, if considered possible, Wannaska, can then be an 'X' on a line drawn 13 miles straight south on Highway 89.

    My stepson says Wannaska is a Lakota word/or derivative thereof, in my understanding, meaning, "They are white there."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you tell someone in the Cities you're from Roseau, they'll say, "Oh, you mean Roseville."

      Delete
  4. In addition, I was late for an Art in the Park event at the Roseau Pioneer Farm. I was to be a greeter at the gate, hand out exhibitor brochures and direct visitors to available parking sites. Snatching up a clean t-shirt from my drawer I rushed out the door, putting it on as I went. Arriving at the Farm, I was met with horror by Betty Johnson, then-President of one of Roseau's highly esteemed social gatherings of the year, when she saw my t-shirt -- was not the one we board members were given to wear for the day. It read: CLIMAX, MINNESOTA: MORE THAN JUST A FEELING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just brought us to the climax of your story. The resolution, or denouement as the French call it, involved the formidable Betty Johnson ordering you to strip off the offending shirt. You drove back topless to Wannaska so fast even the Highway Patrol let you go. "Steve must have forgotten something again," the trooper thought to him or herself. I remember you returning about seven minutes later with your best Wannaska All-School Reunion 1985 shirt. Hrummpph! Betty said in mollification. You slunk off looking for that Guinness rolling around the bed of your truck. Talk about an anti-climax.

      Delete

Post a Comment