Skip to main content

18 November 2019 – Ophelia 2020

Many actresses have played the role of Ophelia in Hamlet. What is less known is that in Shakespeare’s time the role was almost exclusively played by young boys or high-voiced young men. The poem below explores two viewpoints of the feminine lead of the play; the first perspective is third person, and the second is first person, as if Ophelia were speaking directly to us. See if you can decipher the title considering the two parts.


Ophelia 2020

Part I

Silence now. Finally, no more to be said
Dressed in white, but black’s the better hue instead
Because she’s sexed, it’s said she is insane
Her troubles, they say, are her own to blame

Ophelia at her edge
thinks of Hamlet, drops her head
toward the ripples and the flow
with thoughts of freedom just below

Hamlet strides from room to room
in his perilous castle’s gloom
A woman’s plight is a rescuer’s need
but he gives no thought to her billowing weeds

(Two dragons flank her side on side
black wings spanning green river wide)

Ophelia walks the ragged edge
the key to memory locked in her head

Ravens circle hawk-like around the prince
who minces unaware of his callousness

A willow bears Ophelia up
Columbines below hang their fragile cups
Pansies nod three times allying with her distress
They fall in rainbows down and off her dress
The willow holds her gentle in his arms
her gown all tangled in his charms

A daisy’s head nods three times but does not speak
Advised by the prince to a convent seek
A daisy’s petals say one by one
“I loved you once,” and then “I loved you none.”

Ophelia always walking the ragged edge
and at the end, a weeping brook beneath a willow’s ledge


Part II

Sometimes, I speak in riddles and trite rhymes
hand out flowers, pretend I’ve lost my mind
caught in the present with no past
a stalwart woman could not last
the tests of men or woman’s sneers
Men see me as sexual prize; women regard me with fear
both flushing wisdom from my vapid head
one ignores me while the other trundles me off to bed

The Bard gave me no past to tell, you see
Nothing to look back on can make me free
At present, I stand before you nakedly

Neither those times engendered my portrayal
Rather a girl’s role played by a cracked-voice boy all veiled
His horrid treatment of the part hurts like nails
thumped into my eyes, my head
I wish this Ophelia a quick, unmerciful death

The stage held up my role just five of twenty times in all
unlike the men who pleased the crowd, I received no curtain calls

As I look back, I roll my fingers into my palms
drawing blood to etch my life
I am so much more than Bard-splained 
so much more than Hamlet’s would-be wife
so much more than this poetic pain

Born a daughter, not a son, the master
placed me in this vapid role
gave me pansies, violets, rue but did not gift me with a soul
Despite all this, I will not shout, “Me Two,” when I know I’m the first
I only settle for the best – not take a man’s intended worst

Call me by my true name now, and I’ll show all my true sex
Do now what was not done then – let the lies be put to rest


Background
In the Western world, it’s the rare person who hasn’t heard of Hamlet. Somewhat fewer remember Ophelia; however, for appearing only 5 of 20 scenes in the play, she remains memorable. Anyone can be forgiven for not recognizing Polonius, her father, or Laertes, her brother. Along with Hamlet, a trio of men try to direct Ophelia’s life which was the order of the day during Shakespeare’s time.

Exploration 1: Maybe a revisit (or first visit) to the play, Hamlet, would clarify this poem, especially the role of Ophelia. A Google search also delivers excellent results.

Exploration 2: What characteristics would the role of Ophelia have in 2020? 

Exploration 3: Were Ophelia and Hamlet in love?  










Comments