Skip to main content

Authors Fair

 


   Fellow Wannaskan Almanac writer Steve’s wife Jackie asked me recently if I had heard about the upcoming Authors Fair at the Roseau Library. I usually hear about these things after they've happened so it was great she clued me in. It sounded intriguing. I pictured local authors sitting at a long table reading in turn from our writings and answering questions from the audience. Teresa asked if I considered myself an author since I hadn’t published any books. I've posted on a blog for eight years. That makes me an author in my mind at least.

  When I visited the library to register, Stacy the librarian told me the purpose of the Fair was for local authors to promote and sell their books. When I told her I wanted to promote the Wannaskan Almanac, she said she would have a table ready for us. She knew WannaskaWriter (Steve Reynolds) because she frequently orders hard-to-find books for him. She didn’t know Joe- Wednesdays’s Child (Joe Stenzel). “I've only lived here eight years,” she said.

   When I pulled up to the library at 3:00 pm on Thursday afternoon the parking lot was full. Wow! I thought, the Fair doesn't officially start till 4:00. Then I realized the cars were for the farmers market beside the river. Inside the library, Stacy and Tessa had set up eight small tables. Did I want a tablecloth? Sure. Coffee was brewing and the cookies would come out at four. When Steve arrived, Stacy tried to give him his own table but we assured her we could share a table. And I knew Joe Stenzel wouldn't be doing much sitting.

   Jackie had suggested that Steve enlarge and frame a photo of all the authors of the Wannaskan Almanac. This proved to be useful when people asked what the Almanac was all about. The other authors hauled in their books and set up their displays. A woman who works with the grief support group has written a book about her experiences with grief in order to offer people hope. Another woman has published several books of young adult fiction. A third woman had many short books of essays. These three writer's books were Christian faith based.

   Another writer had published a book about his adventures in Alaska. Talking to him, I learned he had started a flooring business in Alaska. I told him when I heard Alaska, I pictured igloos not tile flooring. But he was in Anchorage, a slightly inflated Fargo-Moorhead. He said moose roamed the city year round, something which is rare in Fargo. After a downturn in the economy he moved to Washington state where he was promptly run over by a car. Some of his book details his long recovery. He looks fine now. He eventually returned to Roseau to care for his parents. He keeps in touch with his far-flung kids, but has lost interest in his ex-wife's whereabouts. He said he can call himself a Sourdough because he lived in Alaska for more than twenty years. I learned the term for a newcomer to Alaska is Cheechako, which in the Chinook language means 'newcomer'.

   There was another male writer who had been a wildlife management area manager and had written about his experiences for the local newspaper. After retirement, he gathered his articles into a book which he has been selling in stores around the area. The Authors Fair was a perfect venue for him. Rounding out the crew of authors was Marion Solom who was selling her late husband Jerry's books about his sailboat Indian summer. Jerry had built his steel sailboat next to his machine shop in Wannaska, motored down the Mississippi, taught himself, navigation, and sailed to Norway. Once safely across the Atlantic, Marion joined him and they sailed the coast of Western Europe for several seasons. Once back home, every organization within 250 miles wanted Jerry and Marion to come and speak at their annual meeting. The Solom's daughter Mary helped Jerry self-publish their adventures so he could make a little money to defray expenses. My favorite Marion quote: "The best part of sailing is getting there." Marion loves thrifting and became a decorated Veteran of Foreign Charity Shops.

   The public did not appear in large numbers at the Fair. Those who did come were mostly friends and relatives of the authors, or people who happened to be there anyway. Those who did come stayed for a long time so we didn't appear desperate, plus we authors got to know each other. Steve had printed out a QR code so people could easily find the Almanac. I'm sure our view stats will be up, not that it matters.

  I'm curious how many other towns Roseau's size could turn out as many authors on short notice as we had. We weren't disappointed by the turnout. This was just the first year of the Fair which Stacy promises to hold again next year. Before that happens I plan to start a rumor on FB that a Kardashian will be flogging her bio at our '27 Authors Fair. We'll need security big time for crowd control. And more cookies.


Wannaskan Almanac contributors 


   












Comments

  1. What a motley crew, as in: motley /mŏt′lē/
    an adjective, having elements of great variety or incongruity; heterogeneous.
    "a motley collection of students at the coffee shop."
    Having many colors; variegated; parti-colored.
    "a motley tunic."
    Variegated in color; consisting of different colors; dappled; party-colored.
    "a motley coat"
    Similar: dappled

    Although among the most 'colorful' are Chairman Joe (Friday & Sunday writer) in a red beret, Mr. Hot CoCo (Tuesday writer) in a loud orange T-shirt, and Jackpine Savage (Every other Monday writer) in her red & black long-sleeved shirt; we have 'Woe Wednesday' (Wednesday writer) 'subtly' an adverb adverb slyly; slyly artfully cunningly nicely; delicately.artfully; cunningly. appropriately accents the otherwise demure balance of the bunch in his 'forest green,' in contrast opposite Kim On Sat's (Saturday writer) strikingly stark white cloak framing the three dark center mooring points being Monday alternate 'Teapoetry' with a silver cross upon her chest; Wannaskawriter (Thursday writer),between the two Joes, and Anton Hruby, Kim's alternate Monday writer

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are all smiling so much because writing words is so life-giving. Thank you, CJ

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment