Skip to main content

To the Confluence

 



   Rivers give me a cozy feeling. I have confidence that if dropped into the middle of even the widest river I could eventually make it to shore. Once when I was 15, I swam across a mile wide river to see if I could do it. I could. I had a friend following in a rowboat just in case, but I didn't need him. When I got home, I didn't tell my mother what I had done but she knew something was up. "You look like a prune," she said.

   I don't feel the same way about the ocean. I've flown over the Atlantic and the Pacific and I always pull the shade and watch movies. I know if we go down, that's it. Even if we get the rafts launched, there will be storms, sharks and only salt water to drink.

   I like studying the courses of rivers and their many tributaries on the map. Rivers are a country's arteries and veins. I like going to the sources of rivers. I'm lucky to live so close to the source of the Mississippi. I've been there many times and if anyone makes the trip to visit us in Wannaska, I always take them on a day trip to Lake Itasca. 

   Most U.S. rivers flow south, but not the Roseau, the river that flows through our back yard. The Roseau, like the Nile, flows north. It makes it's way into Manitoba where it joins the Red River and eventually ends up in Hudson Bay.

   Steve Reynolds, aka WannaskaWriter, lives on the banks of Mickinock Creek. He uses the Ojibwa spelling “Mikinaak.” The Mikinaak runs into the Roseau about half way between Steve's place and ours. For all the times we've walked the mile between our places, usually in winter when the river and creek are frozen, I've never pinpointed the exact confluence of the creek and the river.

   With the drought this summer, the river is almost dry. I walked along the river bed the other day, scaring the frogs in the few remaining pools of water. I figured the creek would also be dry and this would be a good time to visit the confluence. Steve and I synchronized our watches and we invited Joe Stenzel, aka Wednesday's Child, to join us.

   A week ago Thursday, we set off from Steve's place. Steve led us across the muddy creek on an old beaver dam.


   The day was pleasantly cool and there was just enough cloud cover to filter out the sun.

 
 There were occasional splashes of color.



Steve obtained permission for our party to pass through the old farmstead.


   Steve and Joe stand in the bed of Mikinaak Creek and inspect a pool of water in the Roseau River.


   We continued on to our place where we enjoyed a well-deserved beverage. We made tentative plans to visit the confluence of the Roseau and Red Rivers on the Roseau River Indian Reservation in Manitoba. We can now get into Canada, but can't get back into the States for a couple of more weeks. Then there's the testing requirement. Oh well, maybe next summer.

Comments

  1. Excellent! No less a feat than that of the Corp of Discovery in 1804.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. “We shall not cease from exploration
      And the end of all our exploring
      Will be to arrive where we started
      And know the place for the first time.“

      Delete
    2. Love this poetic touch - almost as much as the pic of my Beloved Husband. So glad you three had this cool adventure.

      Delete
    3. Speaking of your BH, I saw right off he was wearing shorts and sandals for the trek. If he'd been my 11-yr old grandson from Wisconsin I'd sent him back into the house for suitable jungle wear, like long pants and shoes, knowing if he came home with a rash of poison ivy/poison oak, or scratched from wild plum trees, or with his ankles chewed by chiggers, I'd hear about it from grandma.
      "YOU LET HIM GO DRESSED LIKE THAT?"

      But I figured the man is old enough to know better, and likely would've walked barefooted, but you chided him into wearing sandals at least; he's just that kind of rugged guy. (Never know it by looking at him, but this guy can kick ... er, something, when he has to, even if he has to wear sandals to do it.)

      You see people wearing shorts (particularly men for some reason) wearing shorts all year around here now -- Yes, even in NW Minnesota. Go figure. And during this terribly hot summer shorts were the norm -- well, for everybody except me (I looked all over for mine and just found them the other day, 'way too late for 90-degree weather, sadly).

      Nonetheless, you see people across the world wearing shorts and sandals every day of their lives. even on safaris and hunting trips, and mountain climbing in warm climates, outings in cities and small towns, delivery drivers, -- everywhere, but not typically in the woods (unless it's in a state park or bicycle trail) -- or on the farm, at least in Minnesota.

      I can't remember a time seein' a bunch of farmers in shorts and sandals (or flip-flops, Argh!) at the grain elevator. However, I do vividly remember a farm wife wearing very little clothing when she picked up a tank of anhydrous ammonia from me at the Wannaska plant, during the spring of 1980.

      And so it was, that the day we three walked to the confluence, there we were in a literal bowl of high warm grass and jungle-like shade at the junction of Mikinaak Creek and the Roseau River -- and there wasn't a single fly nor a single mosquito to pester that man in shorts and sandals and drive him mad. He said he'd normally wear 'just a rag on his head(!)' but there was a possibility of rain in the forecast and he thought the bill of a cap would be a help in case it did.

      I learn so much from you folks ... My life is complete. Thank you two.

      Delete
    4. Oh "Lions, and Tigers, and Bears! Oh my!" Put on your big boy pants! Oh, wait a minute; you do have your big boy pants on. It's BH who has on the shorts! Pardon. I don't know how long I have to write this as we are fast approaching the five o'clock hour - the time to stop the day's activities and get down to pahty! Oh, there's more things going on in Beltrami Forest than you could ever know, Horatio.
      So, to your point about me "letting" BH go "out like that." I guess in all these years of friendship we haven't mentioned Joe's mystical-magical powers of repulsion. (He also has the power of rearward repulsion, but we won't go there just yet). In 25 years with BH, I've yet to see a bug bite, a laceration, or a bruise on his delivious corpus. Could it be all the time he spends in our outhouse? I don't know, but the guy is magic. There was that header he took the year we were married off his Kawasaki - he was riding behind a dump truck on Interstate 94. The truck swerved and dumped gravel under those two wheels of his not-Harley two-wheeler thus vaulted him into guard rail. Gotta tell ya, man, the aftermath of that, the head injury, and a b'zillion .. . wait, he didn't have a scratch on him below the neck. A mystery!

      Enahoze - back to the shorts - you should see what he doesn't wear around here. That right. He wasn't kidding about the baseball cap. I usually don't tell anyone about this because I don't want to share. Hey, that 1980 dollie must havwe made quite the impression on you for you to still speak of her these decades later. Did she pick up more than AA?

      Last thing: we have never made it into the inner circles in the 22 years we've been up here. It's because we don't have family, go to church, or have kids in school in the environs. It you don't have one or more of those, you're burnt toast up here. Not that we mind. We didn't move to the Forest to be social butterflies. No, we're quite content having the few great buds that we have -- like you. Anyway - off the subject. We've always been on the outs in high socieity in Roseau county. So, wear those damn shorts when and how you please. But don't check in before 8am or after 5pm. Ooops! 5 pm. Gotta go!
      Later all you shorts fans - or not!

      Delete

Post a Comment