Skip to main content

9 Aug 2021 – Suddenly Silent #4

The Fourth Silence

Why #4? 

Why “The Fourth Silence”?

The answer is straightforward: Before today’s poem, I have written three other poems focusing on Silence. Everything else about “Suddenly Silent #4 is anything but straightforward.

Sound. Silence. “The Sound of Silence*,” if you were young in the 1960s and knew that amazing duo, Simon and Garfunkel. No matter your age, check this out – “Hello darkness, my old friend  . . . touched the sound of silence . . . And no one dared / Disturb the sound of silence . . .” Darkness and Silence – we shrink from the thought of living blind and deaf. Yet, the question is: Am I metaphorically blind and deaf? What am I not seeing? What am I not hearing?

Today’s poem provides a platform for such inquiries.


Suddenly Silent - #4


A shout leaves me deaf for twenty-three days

I long for the last echo

I suck in my breath and swallow my voice

and understand everything at once



No speaking to say Nothing said No confessions

Tongue of clay Emptiness to all ten directions



I stick out my tongue in awe

Speech does not accord with the situation



I execute the essential pivot

I hang up my stick at the axial point

and stay twenty-three years

at the sharp and dangerous river’s edge



Looking at myself 

through my own two eyeballs

Three times I felt

claws and fangs at work

No one can leap clear



Once, I accepted words, and foundered

Later, phrase-worms punctured my head



Questions cracked open my skull

and serpent-mikkyo trickled out




Background

When I was very young, I preferred silence. I spent most days exploring prairie fields, hardwood stands, tiny streams, and broad, flat rocks hidden below tall, swaying grasses. I had my reasons for favoring silence compared to what was going on in the house where I lived. I spent most of my pre-school years seeking out silence, so naturally, when I entered elementary school, the tinny din of fifty attention-seekers drove me even further into silence. And when I started to write poetry just a few years later, I couldn’t bear the disturbance of voices, television, radio, or drunken laughter. Is it any wonder that only four poems focus on Silence?

Exploration 1: Are darkness and silence meaningful to you. If so, in what way?

Exploration 2: Are you comfortable with silence? Do the context and conditions make a difference? How long do you prefer silence given the foregoing?

Exploration 3: Define silence as you experience it.

Exploration 4:  Care to explore the definition of mikkyo? It is a Japanese word related to Buddhism.


*Source: Musixmatch / Songwriter: Paul Simon / The Sound of Silence lyrics © Paul Simon Music


 

Comments

  1. Is there such a thing as 'silence', a place totally devoid of noise of any kind?

    And should many people encounter what they imagine is silence, can they stand it?

    Silence can't be tolerated anymore than 'quiet' can be, I'd say for the majority of people I know. They need to fill silence/quiet with what they say is 'white noise', that being the sound of an electric fan in the room as they sleep, for instance, creating some small noise they can feel safe in, can feel 'normal' hearing.

    When things are too quiet their ears grasp for familiar noise of some kind, (the sound of mosquitoes not being enjoyed so much), whereas waves gently lapping a beach can be quite lovely, in contrast. I do enjoy quiet moreso than complete silence, if but for the noise of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I love silence. I want to escape darkness.
    2. The context and conditions must be pleasant to enjoy silence.
    I can handle silence from nine to five, then I’m ready for Happy Hour.
    3. Silence is the absence of annoying sounds. The wind in the willows is welcome. The buzzing of insects and the warbling of most birds is ok. Mood music is good. Things like that.
    4. It took some digging but I learned that Mikkyo Buddhism can be translated as esoteric Buddhism. It says anyone can attain enlightenment in this lifetime. Student and teacher meet one on one and enlightenment comes through experience rather than texts.
    It’s the basis of Shingon Buddhism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love how you choose to answer the Explorations in many weeks. Very few, if any, others make that choice. But then, my other regular readers (thank goodness I have a few) seem to also use the explorations as a jumping off point. I admire how you dig deep into silence and darkness with a light heart containing near-profound insights.

      It's satisfying to know that I gave you something to chew on in #4. Your research summary almost says it all; the "almost" part I learned from Shihan who, as you know, was ordained at Koyasan, Shingon HQs -- "mikkyo" also means secret, and it could be argued it goes as far as "magic." The last being debatable, at least in the West.

      My gratitude to you for taking the time to comment!

      Delete

Post a Comment