Skip to main content

These Days August 19th, 2021

 
                                                              These Days

    Under the box titled, “Usual Occupation,” on my birth certificate, my dad “Father of Child” is listed as being a “Warehouse Foreman’ --Des Moines Co-op.” Perhaps the fact I worked at the toy factory, many of them in the warehouse for over thirty years, was preordained. Hmmm, if only he had been a physician ... alas.

    I remember having to work in the toy factory warehouse with two other men, twenty-some years ago; I think it was in August, when temperatures approached 100 degrees, an extreme rarity for this part of Minnesota. The rest of the plant was shutdown (another
extreme rarity), except for the air-conditioned front offices and engineering departments. We three alone had to unload a semi load of steel parts in individual totes that were needed for the next day’s toy production. It was brutal work, but I was only fifty-plus years old; thirteen years older than one man, and twenty-five years older than the other; I was used to it.

    With similarly high temperatures almost prevalent now, and poor outdoor air quality being what it is thanks to Canadian wildfires not so faraway, I’m feeling all of those twenty-more years older. I’m drained of energy until about three o’clock in the afternoon, which seems a strange time to get re-energized, especially as it’s often the hottest part of the day my wife reminds me. I think my toy factory work-life routine is ingrained in me from when I worked the early evening shift, from three pm to 11 pm.

    After getting off work, I’d drive 20-miles home, then stay up writing or reading until after midnight, awakening whenever I wanted, for I was never a fan of alarm clocks. I could sleep-in if I needed, then arise after five or six hours of sleep, all energized to do things for myself until I ended my day about 1 pm, ate my lunch, maybe get a nap in, and got ready to leave for work in time to get there well before three. (Even with good intentions, it didn’t always happen.)

    These days, I feel a need to get out at least for awhile in the even-slightly cooler part of the day, and often stay out until dark working at something without the accompaniment of mosquitoes; it’s been amazing not to have to endure those pests and all the flies we had earlier in July.

    "Let it go. It's too hot out, " I say to myself now. "It’s just not that important anymore." 


    For now, I measure my days by just waking up alive and greeting my wife with a smile each morning (no matter how I look); being able to stand and walk under my own power; breathing without a ventilator (been there, done that), eating solid food with the teeth I have left, defecating and urinating without difficulty, appreciating what I had in the past, what I have now, with the hope our health continues in this vein for as long as possible ... these days.


 


Comments

  1. May your coffin be made from 100 year old oak my friend, and let us go in the morning and plant the acorn for that tree. - Irish blessing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tough to find acorns up here this year, sadly. You have any stored away?

      Delete
  2. This reminds me of a Dylan Thomas pram that I've read recently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, very poem-ish, dear Writer. Seriously, you may want to think about putting some of your posts in a poetic form. They certainly have the required concrete images

    Also, I felt like I was tagging along through a typical 48-hour day with you.
    Nicely done..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An Iowa Country Evening

      Morning Glory vines silhouetted against white clapboard siding
      entwine an old wooden trellis.

      A tall and slender young man in a gray t-shirt and worn-thru blue jeans
      stepped off the porch onto the talc-fine dirt of the worn path, his eyes squinted against the sun, and trailed his fingers gently through its vines in passing.

      Delete
    2. Now, re-titled, "An Iowa Evening," these are just a couple lines similar to what I sent you about 17 years ago, according to my files. --Imagine, we've known one another that long!

      Delete

Post a Comment