Skip to main content

Wannaskan Almanac for Tuesday, April 27, 2021...Book It!

The word book can be used many different ways.  I read about it recently...in a book.

A bookworm is a person who loves to read books.  I was glad I discovered this, because for the longest time I avoided books because I was afraid there would be worms in them.  Now I avoid books because so many of them are lame.

When you hit the books it means you are studying.  Once I dropped a book while studying in bed.  I was left with a black eye from a hitting the books while one was hitting me.  


To do something by the book means to rigidly follow the rules for doing something.  For example, when you drive at 55.8 MPH in a 55 MPH zone and you get pulled over and are given a ticket that is going by the book.  If you are doing 64 MPH in a 55 MPH zone and a cop whizzes by you heading for a donut shop, they are not going by the book.  They are just going by.

When you borrow a page out of someone's book, you are doing what they would do in a certain situation.  If only I had known that before my rather frustrating tour of the Roseau library.

Cooking the books is when you try to make the financial records of a business look different than they really are.  Cooking a cook book is often the only way to make a meal look as good as it did in the book.

You can't judge a book by the cover is an idiom that tells you to learn more about a situation than what you can get from just a quick look.  When I was younger we would take brown paper bags and cover up our school text books.  This was because we didn't want anyone to know what we were studying in school.  Want to learn how?  Watch this helpful video.  

A book of matches is kind of self explanatory.  It shows a list of people who are compatible with each other.  I borrowed that book and found that I had a page all to myself.  It was kind of sad.  

A bookie is a person who takes illegal bets.  A book F is a bookie plus one.  

With that said I will close the book on this conversation.  Thanks for reading.  


Comments

  1. "Of the making of many books, there is no end."
    -Book of Ecclesiastes

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment