Skip to main content

WAKWIR: Spring Updates

Hello and welcome to another Saturday here at the Wannaskan Almanac. Today is April 24th.

Just like last time I have many smaller stories rather than one big story. For my last post, I talked about how I was only a few weeks into the new trimester, and now that 6 weeks are done, I can say that I’m still going strong. I’m doing well in all 7 classes (even the hard ones) and I’m also managing a couple different extracurricular activities while I’m at it too.

 I also talked about how I was on the robotics team, Team F.R.E.D. 2883. Last Saturday, we participated in one of the only FIRST Robotics Competitions in the world, and I’m pleased to say that, despite a lot of good and bad intense moments, we came out with the win. And it was not an easy win either. We entered the quarterfinals in second to last place (22 out of 24 teams) and by pure luck, we got chosen for an alliance. And somehow after that, we performed very well in our matches, with the first quarterfinal match resulting in a triple endgame-hang (photo below) in the last seconds counting for bonus points. I thought it was a really fun competition, even though the last few matches were really tense.

As standard protocol, I have updates on my video game life. At the time of my birthday, the sequel to Borderlands 2, “Borderlands 3” was on sale for 67% off. (It was $30.00 originally, so I decided to use some of my birthday money to buy that game. Thanks, Chairman Joe!) And it was worth it. As of last night, my current game time on Borderlands 3 is about 60 hours of gameplay so far. To me, compared to my near thousand hours on Borderlands 2, it’s not much, but then again my Borderlands 2 time is cumulative over many years, compared to game time in just one month.

And as for my last story, yesterday I got to drive. No, it wasn’t on actual roads, and also, no, I don’t have my permit yet. I’m taking Driver's Ed this summer. I thought it would be a good idea just to get the feel of driving. So my mom had me just drive around the Gardens Arena parking lot - a large, nice open space that was conveniently empty just for the taking. And let me tell you, from my 15 minutes of driving around a parking lot, going 5-10 miles per hour, so far it’s fun. And easy. My mom showed me what to do, and I caught on very quickly. A 10 out of 10 experience. And unlike my older siblings, I didn’t make her scared while driving.

As for reading (I don’t think I touched on this subject last time), yesterday I finished The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. I wanted to read it because my mom had it on her bookshelf and she really liked it. I think that it’s a very good book, but, in my opinion, not as good as Turtles All the Way Down. I really enjoyed reading Fault because it was a nice change from my usual preference of long fantasy series.

So I guess that's it! Still a bit of a short post, but I think that it was just as informational as last time. I hope you all have a wonderful day. :)

David,  aka WAKWIR (Wannaskan Almanac Kid Writer-in-Residence)



On This Day

Historic Highlights (credits)

2013 - 1129 people die in Bangladesh in the worst building collapse disaster in modern history
The building was used by clothing factories producing garments for western markets, highlighting the disastrous working conditions in the industry.

2005 - Joseph Ratzinger is inaugurated as Pope Benedict XVI
The German was considered a particularly conservative Pope - quite unlike his successor, Pope Francis.

1990 - The Hubble Space Telescope is launched into Earth orbit
Unhindered by the impurities and distortions of Earth's atmosphere, the 2.4 meter (7.9 feet) aperture telescope has delivered some of the most spectacular images of the far reaches of the Universe.

1957 The Suez Canal reopens after the Suez Crisis
The conflict between Egypt on the one hand and France, the United Kingdom, and Israel on the other, erupted in October 1956 when Egypt announced that the canal will be nationalized.

1915 - The Ottoman Empire begins its systematic extermination of Armenians
An estimated 1 million people were killed in the Armenian Massacres during and after World War I. The event is considered one of the first genocides in modern history.

Happy Birthday to You!🎶 

1982 - Kelly Clarkson, American singer-songwriter, producer, actress

1973 - Sachin Tendulkar, Indian cricketer

1942 - Barbra Streisand, American singer-songwriter, actress, producer

1941 - Richard Holbrooke, American journalist, banker, diplomat, 22nd United States Ambassador to the United Nations

1897 - Benjamin Lee Whorf, American linguist

Remembering You

2011 - Sathya Sai Baba, Indian guru, philosopher

1980 - Alejo Carpentier, Swiss/Cuban author

1960 - Max von Laue, German physicist, Nobel Prize laureate

1942 - Lucy Maud Montgomery, Canadian author

1731 - Daniel Defoe, English journalist, spy

Read a book, drive safely, and make it a great Saturday.

Kim 



Comments

  1. Congratulations on your victory. In all sports and games, luck is as important as skill.
    Thanks for the update.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment