Skip to main content

WAKWIR: Summer Edition, June 13

Well everyone, it's happened. School is finally done. And boy, I am glad. No more stressful due dates to worry about, no more assignments to worry about, no more grades to worry about (Although, mine were somewhat mediocre). No more late assignments. Ahhhhh. Summer life is the best life… Kind of.

With the whole pandemic thing going on, I can’t be with most of my friends, which means I am pretty limited on what I can do. Unless you count killing dozens of mosquitos every day. Literally, this is how the first part of my summer vacation has gone: Wishing I was with my friends, jumping on a trampoline and learning how to do a backflip, and building Legos. Oh, and reading the whole Harry Potter series in less than three weeks for the sixth time.

By now, I realize I am sorely relying on my backup things to do, because I am usually with my friends in the summer. I eventually persuaded my parents to let me hangout with two friends, with masks, because, you know, safety first! I’m only limited to 2 people, but 2 is better than 0.

Also, to some people’s delight, I finally got some sort of job. It’s not the Doug's Supermarket job I applied for but, a job is a job, no matter how big it is, or how you are paid.

When the death of George Floyd happened,I didn’t realize it had happened until 2 days later. After my mom told me about it, I started to see the riots happen on the news, mostly through my mom on Facebook, and then through YouTube when a famous YouTuber Jake Paul got arrested for trespassing into a mall during a riot.

Before I wrap up the post, here are some challenges for you all to do during your summer:

  1. Kill 50 mosquitoes in a confined space within 10 minutes. (At my house, it's pretty easy.)
  2. Learn how to do any kind of flip on a trampoline! (If my mom can do it - which she can! - so can you.)
  3. Read the entire Harry Potter series in one month. (Start slow, and take a lot of time into this challenge. I found myself reading for 14 hours straight without realizing it.)
  4. And for the final challenge, I would like you to count to 1,000 every single day, for the rest of your summer! ( I tried to do this, but I quit on Day 3. I kept falling asleep.)

Well, I guess that will be all for today, and if you haven’t already, even if it’s six days late, say happy birthday to my mom! She is pretty cool.

Peace out,

David
AKA Dave
AKA Wannaskan Almanac Kid Writer-in-Residence
AKA WAKWIR

On This Day

Historic Highlights (credits)

2002 - The United States withdraw from the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty
The ABM Treaty was signed in 1972 by the Soviet Union and the United States. It regulated the establishment of anti-ballistic missile shields against nuclear missiles. Critics bemoaned the treaty's termination for its potential negative effect on nuclear proliferation.

2000 - The leaders of South Korea and North Korea meet in an historic summit
The talks were initiated by then President of South Korea, Kim Dae-jung. For the implementation of his “Sunshine Policy”, he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2000.

1983 - Pioneer 10 becomes the first man-made object to leave the central solar system
The U.S. space probe crossed the orbit of Neptune, which at the time was classified as the furthest planet from the Sun.

1971 - The New York Times publishes the Pentagon Papers
The secret study of the United States' involvement in the Vietnam War revealed the government's lies concerning the scale of U.S. activities in Vietnam and neighboring countries. Daniel Ellsberg, an employee of the RAND Corporation, leaked the documents to the New York Times, and he was later tried but not convicted of espionage.

1950 - South Africa implements the Group Areas Act
The law assigned geographically separate residential and business areas for different racial groups, forcing non-whites from the most developed areas. It was a major pillar of the apartheid system of racial segregation and oppression.

Happy Birthday to You!🎶 


1944 - Ban Ki-moon, South Korean diplomat, 8th Secretary-General of the United Nations

1897 - Paavo Nurmi, Finnish runner

1888 - Fernando Pessoa, Portuguese poet

1865 - W. B. Yeats, Irish poet, Nobel Prize laureate

Remembering You

2006 - Charles Haughey, Irish politician, 7th Prime Minister of Ireland

1979 - Demetrio Stratos, Egyptian/Italian singer-songwriter

1918 - Grand Duke Michael Alexandrovich of Russia

1886 - Ludwig II of Bavaria

1645 - Miyamoto Musashi, Japanese swordsman, author

Have some great conversations and make it a great Saturday!

Kim



Comments

  1. Another summer reading idea: finish the entire Disc World series of books by Terry Pratchett.

    ReplyDelete

  2. Don’t forget that great beach book, Moby Dick. You can just read the part about the whale to start with.
    Excellent post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment