Skip to main content

08 June 20 The One #12: Dragons True – Segment: 4

And here we are – the first of two installments of The One for the month of June. You may have noticed that each month my posts include one guest poet from nearly unknown to the most famous, one poem newly created by yours truly, and two posts per month allocated to The One. Hope you enjoy the variety, especially you lovers of all things poetic – perhaps even including the itsy-bitsy spider and the waterspout.

All great stories, especially those concerning a hero’s journey, have points of transition; The One is not an exception. At this point in the narrative the main character and faithful Argose continue heading south with less idea about why than, perhaps, any other time so far. For a journey such as this one, the direction and timing really don’t matter. It is “the quest” that drives the story’s purpose. But what’s to be done when no defining purpose exists? Carry on? Go home? Find someone to tell you what to do? What is the MC’s raison d’etre? No revelations hide in this segment, just more questions during this momentary pause.

We begin with the last three lines from the prior segment . . .



. . . I know this Dragon cannot be a dream, like most that came before
                        I turn to see the reptile’s steps two times two
                        I know we’ve been in company with a Dragon True . . .

Once Shield Bearer is out of sight, Argose
                                    turns round towards me, lopes back, and licks my face
                        We plop down on the sand and waving grass
                        Stunned, we beach ourselves on the river’s edge
                                    Finally, finding there is nothing to say
                                    Adrift. No boat to ply the waterway
                        Could what was, happen? Could what is, now be?
                        Dragon, human, canine tongues – lizard, dog, me?

                        Argose, exhausted, tumbles against me
                        All save my pack floats lost heading for the sea
                        My sweet ship charting her own long course
                                    pushing on each day to this river’s mouth
Argose and I must rest after all this
                                    Dragon speech and Shield Bearer’s impossible
                                    whirling leaps in a body that should not
                                    then disappearing into the river’s waves

The huge stream laps its banks, sings to itself
            of Dragons it has held and known
Sun glows warm on skin and fur
Now more than tired, deep weariness sets in . . .

. . . “The sea smells of sharks,” says an old woman staring from shore.
“They know when you’re coming. They scent your blood
            They live to slash and scatter your red in their blue flood.”

“I have been at sea,” I say to the crone
“I know the deep waves, sharks’ hungering for bone.
            Sometimes there is simply nothing else
                        but wind-bellying the sails against the sea.”
“But you search for True North?” she asks squinting
“A place spun of dream that cannot be found
                         leads you to doldrums, then runs you aground.”
“It is true what you say.
            Just now, I’ve come here as I tried tacking North
                        but an opposing wind on my nose forced
                                    a long run, wing-on-wing for this broad bay
                        against biting tides as the ice-moon rose
                                     pushing the flow riding the current out wide.”
We stand staring out from the island coast
extreme cliff-bordered and sea breath ghost-cold
Overhead, unruffled flight of owl wings
circling the drafts trailing ice-moon rings
And down from the cliffs flows sand, cold and white
tiny suns through an hourglass marking night
Relentless, unyielding, ruthless stream 
presses perpetually toward True North Dreams . . .

            I jolt awake – Argose whimpers complaints
                        at being roused from dreams of chasing cats
            This day’s end-light hovers on the Western Edge
                        like imagination’s sharp probe boring
                                    into believing, and when it reaches
                                                bottom, I hear the sound of claws climbing

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

            After a night of moon-gazing beam-sleights 
                        we rise and point our noses seaward south
                                    far closer than from northern Chickopee
            Walking makes slower progress than the flow
                        of river’s determined central current
            The weather’s warm and there’s a blanket packed
                        should it turn cold, and there’s a bit of food

            A thought arises and I stop walking
            Where am I going? When will I arrive?
            I have set my course, but it has no end
            In the boat, travel had its own reward
                        and at the beginning, I cherished Hart
                        but thoughts of him have grown few and feeble
            No one to replace my friend but Argose
                        whose company is happy, good, and pure
            No known destination – just direction
                        I find myself to myself confessing
                                    the emptiness of this path unending
            Many months turning into many years
                        of ports and towns where most all are strangers
            For what? For whom? And for what reason?
            I see I can’t name one thing - one person
            Still the hunt burns harsh and clear inside me
                        though I’ve no idea about the sea
                        nor how much or little I still want it
            Perhaps this search will revert of repeat
                        or may be some one will appear one day
                                    to bless me with answers to no questions
            My thoughts rush in circles tumbling over
                        each other rushing to be first to answer
            What should I do with all the time ahead?
            Should I worry most how I will be fed?


Background
In my own life – at least the first half – drama, tragedy, and trauma were punctuated by periods of transition, and thankfully often with positive transformations, turning the harshness into wisdom, however solid or unstable.

Exploration 1: At this point in the story, are you able to say what the main character is searching for? 

Exploration 2: What does Argose mean to the main character, at this time? What would the story be like without him?

Exploration 3: Care to take a stab at answering any of the MC’s self-pointed questions? Maybe just one? Go ahead. Dive in. Speculation is order of this investigation.

See you here next week with a continuation (stagnation?) of our story.











Comments


  1. The MC doesn’t know what he or she is searching for. The hunt’s the thing.
    Argose is the foil, another creature to react and be reacted to. The story would be unbalanced without him.
    Should the MC worry most about food? Yes. Everybody needs to eat. But these two are resourceful. Starvation is not their destiny.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment