Skip to main content

Wannaskan Almanac for June 25, 2019

Ho ho ho!  You are half way to Christmas!  Have you begun to decorate your tree yet?  Do you have your lights up, or did you forget to take them down?  Do you have your shopping done yet?  If you are looking for a list of things to get your favorite Almanac writer, you can find it www.amazon.com where you can search for a wish list.  I won't presume who your favorite almanac writer is. 
Today is the birthday of:
1927  Marvin Windows...hockey player from Roseau, MN.
1906  Silver Dragon...silent karate movie actor in the 1920's from Malung, MN.
2019  Hugh J Mosquito...annoying blood sucker from Roseau County, MN.  Soon to stop by your house!
86 AD  River Frontstore...Jack of All trades from Wannaska, MN.  Credited with the saying "You ain't gotta drive all the way to Roseau for a gallon of milk!"
The Anti-Politeness Revolution, part 2:
Last week I talked about whooping and hollering at a graduation ceremony.  This week I must dive even deeper into the loss of civility in today's culture and talk about cell phones.  I was at a funeral a few months ago and while the speaker at the front was talking about the young lady's life a phone went off.  It rang twice and then...unbelievably...the guy answered it and talked loudly on it for about three minutes.  It was quite possibly the rudest thing I have ever seen...and I am a middle school teacher! 
My thought...cell phones should be turned off anytime there is something going on.  That includes:
Funerals
Weddings
Meals
School
Movies
Conversations
Court Dates
Romantic Dates
Fishing expeditions
Picking Dates

Romantic encounters
Numerous other activities
I don't even like to bring my cell phone with me when I leave the house.  It makes it too easy for people to find me! 
Of course you can disagree with me.  You just won't be able to call me and tell me about it.  Unless I am at home...doing nothing...with my phone turned on!
Jumps off of soap box. 
Final thoughts for today...funny stories from a middle school classroom teacher. 
Story 1:  I told the students that I was going on vacation.  I asked them if they were going anywhere this summer.  A student said that he wished he could go to Italy.  Another student chimed in, "Italy?  What language do they speak there?"
"English," replied the first student, "but with an accent."
Story 2:  I was printing pictures of students for another teacher.  This other teacher wanted the students' names at the bottom of the picture.  I asked a student, "Did the other teacher hand write the names at the bottom of the page?"
"No," said the student, "she used a marker."
I love my job...mostly during June, July, and August!

Comments

Post a Comment