Skip to main content

The Wannaskan Almanac for January 22, 2019

I am hungry.  I thought I would just get that out of the way before you start reading so you can see why I went this way with this post.  Today the Wannaskan Almanac looks at two different food holidays.
First of all, January 22 is the day that the world salivates (hopefully not to the point where it will cause excess tides) over National Blonde Brownie Day.  Blonde brownies are pretty much just butterscotch flavored brownies, instead of the usual chocolate ones.
My pet peeve is when people ruin blondies...or brownies.  They do this by adding walnuts.  Those bitter little nuts drive me crazy.  If you like them...good for you!  You can have mine!
The following is a recipe for Blondies.  It was not by accident that there are no walnuts in them.

That will take care of dessert for today.  You might want to eat something not as sugary, so thankfully it is also National Southern Food Day.  This is a day to drink sweet tea and eat items like cornbread, collard greens, okra, fried chicken, and black-eyed peas.  There are a lot of good southern fried chicken recipes out there, but this one looked the best to me.  That hot sauce in there...I hope my wife reads this and cooks it up!  I also found a good looking cornbread recipe, which you can view here.

I think the worst thing you can do is go shopping when you are hungry.  At least I used to think that.  I now know that writing a blog when you are hungry can be torturous!  Enjoy some southern food and blondies today!  Share any recipes you might find below!




Comments

  1. SNOW FLEA STEW
    Ingredients
    1 cup frozen peas
    1/4 teaspoon Bering sea salt
    2 ounces milkweed seeds
    pinch of ground black pepper
    pat of frozen butter
    1 teaspoon snow fleas
    1 leaf iceberg lettuce
    1 cup snow
    1/4 cup Allium ochotense (Siberian onion) diced

    Directions
    Gently sauté snow fleas, butter, onion in covered skillet.
    Add snow fleas and other ingredients to sauce pan.
    Heat gently to room temperature for 5 seconds.
    Flash chill in freezer, and serve cold.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment