Skip to main content

The One - Third Movement: Remembering - Song 17: Burning Ground — Segment I

 

THIRD MOVEMENT

REMEMBERING

 

SONG SEVENTEEN

BURNING GROUND

 

I

 

“You are what you seem

            a lightning bolt dreamed through a hollow tree

You’re back on the ground now

Eeeeei! What a flight!

Good work child! Good work in the dream!”

 

I am dumbstruck from two sides

            by the old man taken for lost

            by the red-black spiral of my fall.

 

“Can you speak?!” he squints an eye at me

Behind him, brilliant sun makes a halo of his thick white hair

His glow and the sun so entwined I can’t be sure he is there

 

“Yes. I can speak – at least enough to say – again

            it is wondrous strange to find you really here.”

 

“Still the same and not strange at all

  You are in the Dreaming and now you know.

  You are free now.  You are free to go.”

 

“Go where?” I ask but I already see

I have walked about with him and them.  

Now I must walk with me.

 

He stands, and motions me to do the same.

He claps his hands and stamps his naked feet.

“Go then.  Begin the walk good child.

  Leave this old man to do the work that’s his!”

            And a second time he grabs my head

            and plants a warm wet kiss

 

He must shove me to get me moving

and when he does, I feel certainty sink in

            I know

                        my steps on both sea and ground

            I know

                        that the wind and time are right to go

            I know

                        them all in the Dreaming’s sound

 

He is already far out in the shimmering heat

He does not turn

He does not wave

It is as if he is walking now both here and there

Of course he is! 

I laugh and shake my head.

 

The scent of the unknown lures me forward 

as I, too,  burn ground

            away from the lightning-struck tree

            away from the vertigo of spiraling to ground

I know and am certain

            I am awake – balanced as the vertigo begins

                        and  I fall into another day

            

 

I decide to let death live at my left shoulder

            since the old lover will be there anyway

I choose to consolidate perspective and to note

that very little that happens is of consequence

The nations of Death will never be appeased 

                        and that makes all the difference

 

I am sure of my worth now

            because I am empty – empty as that blackened tree

And there is a distinct feeling of moving out and away

            Outward to stars

                        expanding toward home

All the beloveds, the teachers, left behind

            yet met again in some larger, radiant form

 

It is time to travel down familiar roads and make

            them stand out clear

            like the first time seen

This time, each mile left behind will be the last

and I will re-member

The sun will soon pale into black

            I will hurry now.

The light is going fast

                        I will hurry home before darkness comes again

            I will not lose my way.  I know where I am

Comments

Post a Comment