Skip to main content

Wannaskan Almanac for Tuesday, August 29, 2023 Fractured for the Masses

And now for something a little more familiar...fractured history!  Today is August 29.  This is the 241st day of the year.  241 is a general area code.  If you receive a phone call and the area code is 241, it is probably either a spam or scam call.  Please don't hang up on me...er, I mean...please carefully screen your calls!


Oh yeah, fractured history is what the Almanac is about today.  Sometimes I get distracted.  Other times I get retracted.  Did you know that there are 109 words that contain "tract" in the Scrabble dictionary. Of those 40 are 11 letter words, 30 are 10 letter words, 18 are 9 letter words, 14 are 8 letter words, 5 are 7 letter words, 1 is a 6 letter word, and 1 is a 5 letter word.  


Oh dear, I have gotten off track again.  That reminds me of a story I read as a child.  In this classic Little Golden Book from 1945, Tootle is a young locomotive who loves to chase butterflies through the meadow. But he must learn to stay on the tracks no matter what—if he ever hopes to achieve his dream of being a Flyer between New York and Chicago!  Oh Tootle, you little scamp!  


Which reminds me, I am here to write fractured history...not reminisce!  Reminisce.  Now that is an interesting word.  It starts with rem...like remember.  Or R.E.M. the band.  R.E.M. was an American rock band from Georgia that was formed in 1980.  According to a reader's poll in Rolling Stone magazine, the top 5 songs from R.E.M. were:

5. ‘It’s The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)’
4. ‘Man on the Moon’
3. ‘Everybody Hurts’
2. ‘Nightswimming’
1. ‘Losing My Religion’

Of course, those readers are all wrong.  The number 1 R.E.M. song has to be:  


I have finished my cup of coffee and still haven't started writing fractured history yet!  I better get another cup and try to focus better.  If you are having trouble seeing, did you know that you can do eye tests on computer now?  This is one location you can check your eyes.  There are plenty of other places to check your eyes too.  Just google it.

Oh dear, I just passed my hour of time that I dedicate to writing a blog.  I was going to write some comical blurbs about the Battle of Mohacs and the Peace of Turin which would have been more interesting than the disjointed mess above.  Oh well...maybe next Tuesday the 29th of August will be less distracting.

Distracted...

Comments

  1. Take the rest of the day off and chase butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or, start getting ready now; Tuesday, August 29, 2028 is only 1,827 days away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. a pleasant chase and enjoyable "disjointed mess," indeed. If you really do want to stay on the tracks next time try that other classic train story and repeat the refrain: I think I can. I think I can.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment