Skip to main content

October 29, 2019 There is Magic in the Air

Halloween is only two short days away.  This year I, being the very novice magician that I am, have been working on a head falling off trick.  I have learned several tricks this year, and I think that this would be the most unusual of them.  Plus it will give me an excuse to wear my trench coat in public without being accused of potential indecency.
Magic has always fascinated me.  I can still remember when preteen me went to a circus and I encountered my first live magician.  He chose me to have my hands tied together and then with a quick jerk of the rope my hands were free.  For the longest time I was convinced that he had really pulled the rope through my wrists.  I spent hours trying to duplicate the trick, which I actually can do now.  The saddest day in regards to magic is when you realize that it is all just illusions.  The job of the magician is to make people think that something amazing has happened.  Unfortunately, there is always a logical explanation.  The masked magician revealed a lot of secrets behind some really amazing tricks.  He said that the purpose of his revelations were to challenge magicians to improve their tricks.  Of course that means that very novice magicians (like me) are often left exposed.  Hence, the trench coat.
The most famous magician in history is undoubtedly Harry Houdini.  He was a master escape artist who claimed that no prison or handcuffs could hold him.  He survived many amazing performances and wowed audiences the world over.  He was unable to escape one trap though.  In October of 1926 Houdini passed away at the age of 52.  The mystery around his death has not been solved to this day.  Some attribute his demise to a ruptured appendix.  Some say it was due to being punched in the stomach several times.  Me, I am waiting for a reveal of what happened from Val Valentino...aka the masked magician!
There have been many amazing magic tricks performed throughout history.  Many people feel that the most incredible of them all is when David Copperfield transported himself and an audience member thousands of miles away to a beach in Hawaii.  There are many theories about how he did this trick.  Me, I like to just believe he really did it!  If I could learn how just think of how much money I could save on airfare.  

So as you head out this year to do your trick or treating (yes, there is no age limit) remember that you might just run into a guy in a trench coat wanting to show you a trick.  Don't scream and run away.  Just give a little applause and help him put his head back on.  If, however, he tries to show you something else other than a magic trick...call 911!



Comments