Skip to main content

October 23, 2018

October 23 is the 298th day of 2018.  There are 69 days remaining until the end of the year. 
Today in history:
42 BC--The Second Battle of Philippi.  Brutus was defeated by Octavian and Marc Antony.  You can watch a video about that here
1981 AD--U.S. national debt hits 1 trillion dollars. 
1993 AD--Joe Carter hits a game winning home run against the Phillies.  Tag them all, Joe was coined at the time.
Famous Birthdays:
1869 AD  John Heisman (the Heisman trophy in college football is named after him).  He also invented the forward pass in football.
 
1940 AD  Pele (aka Edson Arantes do Nascimento) was born in Brazil.  You can see some highlights from his career here
Your funny quote of the day comes from unknown.  Unknown is known to have written many funny quotes.  "I used to think I was indecisive, but now I am not too sure."
There are no major American holidays or observances for October 23.  There are several minor observances of this day.  Of course, when I say minor I mean no disrespect to these totally awesome and observable days.
Today is National Boston Cream Pie Day.  I believe that this is to celebrate the Boston Cream Pies...I mean Bruins.
Today is National Canning Day.  If someone has been bothering you, just tell them to can it.
Today is National iPod Day.  I believe this is to celebrate all your Apple devices that are no longer able to be updated. 
Today is National Swallows Depart from San Juan Capistrano Day.  Apparently if they leave a day early their reward is a worm. 
Today is National Slap Your Annoying Coworker Day.  I will definitely need to ice my hand tonight. 
Today is TV Talk Show Host Day.  If there is anything we need in the world today...it is more talk show hosts!
A limerick is a five line, humorous poem.  I thought this one was quite funny.  It was written, of course, by unknown.

There once was young lady named bright
Whose speed was much faster than light
She set out one day
In a relative way
And returned on the previous night.

Have a wonderful day! 

Comments