Skip to main content

Wannaskan Almanac for Thursday, December 6, 2018

I made an error as I typed Wannaskan Almanac onto my computer spelling “Wabnaskan Almanac”. It’s often interesting to see what the computer interprets what you meant, as in this case it decided I was requesting information about “Wabaskang “almanac instead.

Turns out there is a Wabaskang, Canada and here is its link for a 10-Day Weather Forecast - The Weather ... https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Wabaskang+Canada+CAON6483:1:CA
Be prepared with the most accurate 10-day forecast for Wabaskang, Canada with highs, lows, chance of precipitation from The Weather Channel and ...

Images for Wabaskang Almanac include proud fishermen and women with their big fish, a site advertising: “Keeping Chickens: A Beginner’s Guide,” chicken coops of all stripes and construction, turkeys, rabbits, ‘Del Mar’ Fishing Boats, and links to central Florida sight fishing charters. Should you wish to see for yourself: https://www.google.com/search?q=Wabaskang+Almanac&client=firefox- b&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjVruPNhoXfAhUIQ60KHRISDQQQsAR6BAgBEAE&biw=1591&bih=1059

One heading included: Page 19 of The Des Moines Register from Des Moines, Iowa, on July 11, 1948, which was a Sunday, by the way although, serendipitously, a bit further down on the page was this tidbit, 13 Must Know Facts - that did inform me that July 11, 2019 will be a Thursday ...

How this is linked to my original search I may never know, although last week sometime I did look for July 11 for some reason--and that too tied into Page 30 of The Des Moines Register. (That was a Monday, not a Thursday.) I kill my search history immediately, but maybe cookies still slip through the cracks and are picked up or stored that I don’t know about.

Curious about where Wabaskang, Canada was, I googled it and  learned it was in Ontario and not so far from some familiar territory that I visited in 1972, when I spent a week in the Dryden Area Hospital after I had a pneumothorax event on a remote lake south of Wabaskang, called “Stormy Lake, Snake Bay.”








https://www.google.com/maps/dir
 then
/Snake+Bay,+Kenora,+Unorganized,+ON,+Canada/Wabaskang+Lake,+Kenora,+Unorganized,+ON,+Canada

Googling those coordinates, I chose the satellite view and then pondered the rugged forty mile overland route my dad had to drive from the Snake Bay Road at the NW end of Snake Bay on Stormy Lake to the Trans Canada Highway, and into Dryden, in order to get me to the hospital in time. We'd come almost that far by water to get to the landing, as I remember.

Once we were on the road, it seemed we headed northeasterly, but I’m not sure. It was just one long gravel road to get in and out of there, and I wasn't always sure if I was up or I was down when we drove out. I had purchased a new 1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 4x4 just before the trip and have always contended its purchase and high clearance was providential.

Canadian Mist
My uncle Martin Davidson's '62 Chevy station wagon with a boat on top sat so low that he had to take some dips in the road at an angle so the bumpers wouldn't scrape.


 My new 1972 Toyota Land Cruiser was excellent off-road, but practically screamed for a fourth gear at highway speeds. What it lacked on the highway, it made up for on Snake Bay Road where slowing down for dips wasn't an option.

The hospital was waiting for us with a wheelchair ready, is all I remember until I awoke in a hospital room some time later. 

They said later, I wouldn’t have lived another half hour. I can’t imagine my Dad’s anxiety and concern with me sitting in the passenger seat beside him, all blown up like a human balloon. Dad was 67, my age now.



Guy Reynolds 1905-1992


My mother’s sister, Irene Davidson, was an LPN who worked at the Roseau Hospital and Sheltering Oaks Nursing Home for 18 years, was vacationing at the lake with us by chance, and accompanied Dad and I to Dryden. I’m sure she was quite an aid to Dad during the ordeal, keeping Mom abreast of the situation. She was 55.




Irene Palm Davidson Reese
1917-2008

I have a hankering now to revisit that site, that road, the day my life changed forever. It might’ve even been a Thursday ...

Comments

  1. You have an amazing combination of your father's and your mother's very different eyes: your father's eye for the big picture and your mother's eye for the detail within the big picture.

    So, how'd you get that pneumothorax, if the tale can be told in polite company?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That episode was proof you're supposed to be here. The Great Spirit has more to teach you. It was good to see the pic of your Land Cruiser, the vehicle that introduced you to Wannaskan Society. You were a hermit when you first moved to Palmville, living on your land without a house, just a little Scamp trailer. You were on your way south that fateful day. Headed somewhere in a hurry, when your usually steady Toyota took a dive for the ditch. You and your spare tire were thrown clear. You came to surrounded by wrenches and sockets, both metric and SAE. Before the crash, there hadn't been a soul in sight. After the crash, a mid-sized crowd gathered to either cover you with a tarp, or else dust you off and pick up the contents of your rig which had been scattered all over the ditch. Most amazingly, your spare was standing upright on the road, waiting for someone to notice. Ennaways, your vehicle was totaled, but now you were family. You had experienced another near death experience. Take care old buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The king of random, you always manage to come full circle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! Joe and I once owned a Scamp trailer - about 15 feet long, if I remember correctly. All self contained - well almost. It surely contained us in its compact quarters. We traveled west across the north of the USA - got caught in a blizzard in Boise wherein the propane froze and my lip became attached to my sleeping bag zipper.

    Hey! Joe had a pneumothorax when we were putting up the Quonset and Ole accidentally (? - you know how the JP Savages feel about neighbors getting too close) unlocked the scaffolding and down came Joe hitting one of those curved lengths of metal on the way down.

    Hey! I've spent a bit of time in Blind River, Ontario - a romantic little town where I assisted in rescuing a downed Otter (the Dehavilland type) that had blown a jug and was stranded way out on Lake Ontario. An adventure to be sure.

    Hey! Looks like we have some points in common. Fun! Maybe we can all do an Ontario tour and visit some of our old haunts. Of course, we would have to do it in a couple of Scamps.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment