Skip to main content

Iskigamizige-Giizis Maple Sugar Moon

 Thursday, April, 2022

    I do most of our grocery shopping and errands around Roseau. Sometimes people know me and greet me by name (astonishingly), when more often than not I fail to put a name to their face. 

    Depending on the length of the conversation, their name might come to me; something 'clicks,' and if it doesn’t, I’ll weigh whether I should ask them, and how they may feel realizing that I don't. 

    When I get home, it’s often that the wife will ask me, “Did you see anyone you know?” And just as often, I’ll say, “No,” for most days there aren’t many people I do know anymore.

    So it was on Wednesday, at Super One, back by the south end of the cereal aisle and north of the luncheon meats, on my way back to a bag of lettuce I hadn't written down but suddenly remembered, when I saw someone -- (although he was wearing a faded camouflaged jacket and blended into the background so perfectly) -- whom I knew at once, and who recognized me just as fast. 

    “Pete! As I live and breathe, you’re still kicking! How ya been? Steve! ”

    And quite the conversation ensued, hearty laughter exchanged, and renewal of long ago memories invigorated. 

    “You still livin’ in Canada? Winnipeg? Wannaska? Retired? Tell me about it ... What are you doing? “Still doing The Raven? Still in the ministry? That sounds so rewarding for everyone, Pete. That’s great. Wow!”

     Pete had lost his wife of 22-years two years ago, but he was still carrying on the work in the Winnipeg community they had served together; it seemed his life-blood. 

    I said, “As you talked, I was struck by the idea that I’ve really ‘known’ you for a long time, not in the sense of day-to-day so much, for it must be two or three years since we last met, but I mean knowing you back when you were a teenager. I was a couple years younger.   

    “Didn’t you have a silver front tooth back then?

    He smiled as he thought about it, admitting, “I had two,” gesturing to his new front teeth. “That was a long time ago ...” He laughed.

    “Didn’t you live on the East Side?" I continued. "I used to come up here in the summer from Iowa to visit my Grandma Palm, and my Uncle Raymond Palm; he was in a wheelchair. They lived next door to the East Side Grocery. I remember you being around there ...”

    

“Yeah, Ray was the jeweler! I didn’t live on the East Side; we lived out east of the airport, but I had some friends that lived near the store ... Steve, gosh ... That’d be about 65-years ago!

    “That it is, Pete. That it is ... Man! A lifetime ago ... So great seein' you!”

 

Comments