Skip to main content

June 26, 2018

It is the last Tuesday in June.
There is a waxing gibbous moon.
Sunrise will be at five twenty-two.
I will watch it...will you?

I tried...just couldn't keep it up. I was going to try to rhyme my way through this whole blog but I got bored. Plus it was seeming kind of lame. I mean June and Moon? Really? What am I? In second grade! Now before I get any hate mail, I am not against rhyming in the slightest. It is just that my attempt up there was pretty bad.
One of the cool things about living in northern Minnesota (other than the temperatures) is that the days in the summer are really long. Sunrise today in Wannaska will be at 5:22 AM, while sunset will be at 9:30 PM. This gives us just over 16 hours of sunshine. Meanwhile, in Florida (the sunshine state!) sunrise will be at 6:30 and sunset will be at 8:27. Northern Minnesota actually gets two more hours of sunshine than Orlando! Now, before you run out to plant some orange trees in the Malung area, remember that winter is still coming. Your days will be much shorter eventually...and colder...and your orange saplings will freeze with disgusted little looks on their bark!
June 26, 1575 is the birthday of Anne Catherine of Brandenburg. She was queen of Denmark and Norway. Throughout history there has been periods of time when Norway, Sweden, and Denmark were three countries under one monarch.
June 26, 1747 is also the birthday of composer Leopold Jan Antonin Kozeluh from Bohemia.
June 26, 1763 is also the birthday of a famous British artist. He is not known for painting portraits but was known for painting more land. Click here to see if you were right in guessing who this artist was.
In history on this day, in 1284 According to the Lüneburg manuscript, a piper leads 130 children of Hamelin away. The story is believed to be a true account of the murder of these children. Read about it...if you dare...here.
In 1894 Karl Benz of Germany received a US patent for gasoline-driven auto.
In 1925 at the 60th British Golf Open Jim Barnes shoots a 300. He was excited until he realized he wasn't bowling. In full disclosure, his 300 was not in one game. It was a 4 game total.
Your weird and wonderful word of the day is salopettes. It is either high waisted ski-pants with shoulder straps, a dog beauty parlor, or the French equivalent of a shot glass. Have fun seeing if you can figure it out! It will be easy to use your dictionary with all that extra sunlight.
June 26 is the International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking. Drugs are not good. I have seen the results over and over again.

That ends today's almanac,
I hope you liked it well.
If not, email me at ffefreekshow@hotmail.com
And I will tell you to go to...another website and try that!





Comments