Skip to main content

Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Welcome to the Wannasakan Almanac for Tuesday, April 24, 2018. This the 114th day of 2018. If this has been a bad year so far, take heart because there are only 251 days left until you can start a fresh year, tentatively to be called 2019.
Your unusual word of the day is jentacular. Perhaps this morning you did something jentacular. It is important. More on that later.
The first thing that I noticed for this day in history is that Thutmose the third (my personal favorite of all the Thutmoses) became pharaoh of Egypt in 1479 BC.
I have often wondered how accurate the dating of an event so many years ago could possibly be. First of all, the calendar we currently use is the Gregorian calendar. It was implemented in 1582 in order to fix a problem with the Julian calendar. The Julian calendar was introduced about 1600 years earlier by the same people who invented those delicious Julian potatoes. My concern has always been how can we precisely say that something that happened before calendars were used happened on a certain day? The other question might be why would I let it bother me? Just like the movie Frozen, I will let it go.
On April 24, 1184 BC, the Trojans were able to enter Troy inside of a large wooden horse. Is this a true story or is it a myth? Nobody is really sure. I have actually visited the supposed ruins of Troy. I looked around for evidence of a giant wooden horse but didn't see anything. I guess I expected to see some giant wooden horse "leavings" or at least a few wall scribbles that say something like "Conan the Trojan was here" but all that was there was some old stones that are being assembled into walls. So again I will quote a Disney movie..."It doesn't matter, it is in the past."
Some famous people were born on April 24th. If you consider yourself to be famous and were born on April 24th and you are not mentioned in this list then I apologize in advance. There were a lot of composers born on April 24th, so I thought I would highlight these musical geniuses.
1538 Gugliemo Gonzaga
1594 Benedikt Lechler
1670 Christian Ludwig Boxberg
1706 Giovanni Battista Martini
1742 Roman Hoffstetter
1875 Jeno Huszka
1897 Gyorgy Kosa
1907 Vaclav Trojan
1911 Sigursveinn David Kristinsson
1921 Laci Boldemann
1924 Yehoshua Lakner
1928 Gustav Krivinka
1929 Ferit Tuzun
1945 Eugene O'Brien
1946 Bruce Stuart Saylor
Now that is a lot of composers! I have a theory of why so many composers were born on April 24th. The theory is...I have no idea. I used to think it was due to solar storm activity but I outgrew that thought a couple of weeks ago. My advice for you is if you happen to have a baby today you might want to give them a gentle nudge toward becoming a composer. Seems to work out.
Finally let us get back to jentacular. Jentacular means having to do with breakfast. Getting a jentacular start to your day is often considered the most important meal. I recommend pancakes, bacon, bacon, bacon, butter, and syrup. My cardiologist says that is how he got to know me.
As usual, if you want to send me some feedback (or pancakes and bacon) you can do so at ffefreekshow@hotmail.com . I look forward to your jentacular transmissions.

Comments

  1. You might have something with your musical composition idea - the influence of heavenly spheres, and such. Check this out: https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap180424.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment