Skip to main content

January 30, 2018

Good Morning and welcome to the Wannaskan Almanac for Tuesday, January 30, 2018.
Character is like a tree and reputation is like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.
-Abraham Lincoln-

Ah…cup of tea…check.
Warm blanket…check.
Ready to write…check.
Chihuahua biting my hand and scratching my arm, wanting to go outside…sigh.
Isn’t that the way it is? Things are going perfect and then out of nowhere something messes it up. Our little Chihuahua is named Luv, which is very ironic since he seems to hate everyone…and everything that he cannot eat. He has chosen two people to put on his “do not attack” list, and I am one of them. He is cute, which my wife claims has saved him on many an occasion.
January to me is the longest month. The drudgery of returning to work after the holidays makes the days stretch out, much like my sweatpants after all the maple fudge I ate. That maple fudge was delicious, but it has led me to make a New Year’s resolution. I intend to be satisfied with myself and not worry about my weight so much. I really hope I can stick to that pledge.
Famous people born on January 30:
Thomas Rolfe (1615-1680) He had two claims to fame. One, his mother was Pocahontas. Two, he always got the part of Jesus in plays. I have inserted his photo so you can see why.


Thomas Tallis (1505-1585) was a British composer and organist. His most famous work is considered to be Spem In Alium. You can listen to it here.
Barbara W. Tuchman (1912-1989) was an American Journalist, Historian, Writer, and Biographer. Her most famous work was The Guns of August, which describes the lead up to and first month of World War 1.

Events that occurred on January 30 include:
1661 Oliver Cromwell, Lord Protector of the Commonwealth of England was ritually executed. He had already been dead for two years. It is a very interesting and gruesome story.
1847 Yerba Buena was renamed San Francisco. A remarkable fact is that it seems to be a Spanish name, but when you try to translate it using Bing into English it remains the same…Yerba Buena.
1862 USS Monitor, the US Navy's 1st ironclad warship launched. Pat yourself on the back if you know the name of the ship that it famously battled two months later!

I will leave you with two quotes from Tuchman’s The Guns of August.
“The muffled tongue of Big Ben tolled nine by the clock as the cortege left the palace, but on history's clock it was sunset, and the sun of the old world was setting in a dying blaze of splendor never to be seen again.”
“Arguments can always be found to turn desire into policy.”

As always, you can email me at ffefreekshow@hotmail.com with any comments, concerns, or questions. I promise to read them, or at least delete them politely.

Comments

  1. I always enjoy the variety in your Daily's! Please post a picture of Luv in some future post if Luv somehow blends with one of your writing subjects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would if he would only stay still for a second.

      Delete
  2. Yes, very enjoyable. I believe W.A. has tapped into a rough cubic crystal structure inherent of a metastable allotrope of carbon, with its invitation to you. Your brilliance as a writer requires no loupe for verification, no adjust of focus, no trips to the moon. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment