Skip to main content

Sunday Squibs




Some motel breakfast nooks have the red news on, others, the blue. The best have the Weather Channel.

With enough hard work I can be anything. Even a nuclear physicist or a brain surgeon. But no one would go near my bombs or under my knife.

"It was yellow when I went through it, officer." The title of my peccadilloes book.

Is it ok for the reformed alcoholic to live vicariously through his past debauches?

One pleasure of old age's gated community: most of our psychopathic peers are either dead or locked up.


Comments

  1. Today is Joyce Carol Oates' birthday. Here are a few of her squibs:

    My writing is full of lives I might have led.

    One of life's minor satisfactions is forgetting.

    In love there are two things: bodies and words.

    When a marriage ends, who is left to understand it?

    Those whom the gods wish to destroy, they first make famous.

    The blow you can't see coming is the blow that knocks you out.

    Evil isn't a cosmological riddle, only just selfish human behavior.

    Our enemy is by tradition our savior, in preventing us from superficiality.

    I used to think that getting old was about vanity—but actually it's about losing people you love.

    Getting wrinkles is trivial.

    The only people who claim that money is not important are people who have enough money so that they are relieved of the ugly burden of thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment