Skip to main content

No Squibs Today




   Dear readers, I have not been granted any squibs this week to pass on today. I have learned that squibs only come to the detached mind. That's not a squib, merely an observation. My mind's been distracted by our upcoming month long trip to Provence.
   I know it's hard to get excited about someone else's trip. I'm always jealous when someone else starts talking about an upcoming trip. I try to look like I'm listening but I'm not, being filled with envy. After their trip is over, I'm happy to listen to what a great time they had, up to five minutes. If the trip was a disaster I'll listen to the whole debacle. I might learn something.
   Ennaways, we're going to Provence which is in the southeastern corner of France. It includes the Mediterranean coast from the big city of Marseille, east to Italy. The eastern section is called the French Rivera by English speakers and includes nice beaches, big yachts, and towns such as Cannes, Antibes, and Nice.
   We'll spend a day in Marseille and perhaps travel a few miles east to see the so-called fjords of France. Then we'll head north to one of the mid-sized cities such as Aix-en-Provence, or Avignon, or Arles. Each of these cities has its claims on our attention. We really want to visit the little hill towns scattered all over the countryside. I once saw a picture of a little café in one of these towns. Actually, all I saw was a table for two on the patio of the café. The patio, the café, and I assume the whole town, was perched on a rocky cliff. There were geraniums. Small things like that can inspire a big trip.
   As you can imagine, planning for such a trip can fill a person's brain, leaving no room for squibs. People ask me if I have all my lodging set. That would be nice. Then I could start thinking squibby thoughts again. But if I had everything locked down, I'd have trouble finding that cliffside table for two. I'm not positive about the geraniums.

@jmcdonnell123

Comments