Skip to main content

Summer Reverberations

Hello and welcome to another Saturday at the Wannaskan Almanac. Today is September 7th, aka, the first Saturday after school starts and I am on an island.

This weekend marks the fifth anniversary of my annual Lake of the Woods Artists' Retreat up at the Northwest Angle. It may be a curious thing for a devoted mom of five to retreat so quickly after school starts, but really, it's a relief.

Waking up at 6:30 a.m. was a shock to the system Tuesday morning as my phone alarm vibrated, signaling the inevitable: the first day of school. I swiped left to the "Zzzzz's" then got up eight minutes later knowing I couldn't play the snooze game until 7:30 which I'd done most of the summer.

I reluctantly raised myself up, swung my feet down to the carpeting and gave one final quiet farewell to my warm bed and stood. Upstairs the 2nd Grader and WAKWIR were already dressed and lining up for breakfast. Breakfast. My job.

We all have morning jobs. Hubby makes the sandwiches, the Oldest prepares the fruit and the second Oldest cuts the carrots. I do breakfast. The WAKWIR, an early bird, stands around waiting for his meal. The Oldest suggests she retire from her position so her younger brother can be useful. "Hey, you should phase me out because I won't be here next year," this new senior likes to say.

The first day is groggy, but enthusiastic. Outfits are picked and backpacks are packed. We're all ready well before the bus comes, leaving ample time for the requisite first day of school picture to be posted on Facebook and possibly used for this year's Christmas card. (Last year's strategy.) The Toddler is disappointed that he'll have to hang back with his mama instead of get on the bus, but he's not too terribly disappointed knowing that his day will come the following Monday.

And the bus comes pretty much on time. Definitely not early. A good thing.

What I want is my coffee and to go back to bed. What I need is to catch up on the prior week's duties that I didn't get to and prepare all the necessary household (and work) duties for when I'm missed. Because, believe me, I will be missed.

But I grind through all the tasks and the business and the movement keeps me awake and invigorated. Only two short days before I head up to the Northwest Angle to work on my art: my novel that has sat silently on my hard drive since mid-April.

The Toddler naps - the first in a while, days for sure, if not a couple weeks. I'm in a pitch and purge phase similar to the frenzy I experienced during my last pregnancy.

It feels like only a few short hours before the 2nd Grader is hopping off the big yellow bus, crossing the dusty dirt road.

"How was school?" I ask.

"I love it." she answers.

I exhale a sigh of relief. It was only a few short months ago she declared she hated school. "I'm a fish grader," she announces proudly, riffing on the phrase "I'm officially a 2nd Grader" stapled to a packet of goldfish crackers from her new teacher. She describes with delight the naughtiness of her seat mate from class and recites her schedule: Gym, Math, Music, Recess, Lunch... and I'm feeling a bit jealous. She is happy.

The WAKWIR announces he hates school.

Wednesday morning, waking up is easier. I prepped the oatmeal the night before saving a couple steps and the teenagers are glad to see hot breakfast - toasted English muffins with a cooked egg and marble jack cheese - has returned to the morning menu.

I already can't remember in specific detail what I did Wednesday but let's assume it was a variation of the following: cooking, cleaning, errands, reading with the kids, laundry, homework, with intermittent bouts of checking email.

The Oldest asked me to stay up with her while she did homework and studied for an exam. "For moral support," she says. I go to bed at midnight, but only after looking at the cost of accommodation in Grand Marais for the upcoming North Shore Readers and Writers Festival.

Which brings me back to my original point: why would a devoted mom of five so readily retreat so soon after school begins?

The practical: Because that is the time that works best for the Laketrails calendar

The pragmatic: Just like January 1, the start of a new school year is a good time to survey progress and review resolutions and to get back to my art and the work of being a novelist.

The personal: To have a few quiet days to gather - not the remnants of summer - but rather the reverberations of the carefree feeling of these past summer days. A little space and time to breath and slow down just one more time before finally wading into the busy-crazy of another school year.


Image: Laketrails

On This Day

Historic Highlights (credits)

2011 - Independence of South Sudan
South Sudan became an independent country after a referendum that passed with over 98% of votes.

1978 - Georgi Markov is murdered
The Bulgarian writer and dissenter had left Bulgaria in 1969 and was working at BBC in London during the time of his murder. His murder, which is popularly known as the Umbrella Murder took place while he was crossing the Waterloo Bridge in London. The assassin, nicknamed Piccadilly, used a modified umbrella to shot a pellet full of ricin in Markov’s leg. Markov died 4 days later, on September 11 of ricin poisoning.

1977 - Treaty giving the Panama Canal to Panama is Signed
The Torrijos–Carter Treaties were two treaties signed between the heads of state of the US and Panama. The treaties gave control of the canal that connects the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean to Panama. The canal was constructed by, and had been in the control of, the United States since 1904.

1940 - Germans Begin the Blitz over London
The Germans began strategically bombing the United Kingdom and London on this day. For 57 days, the German Luftwaffe aerially bombed London, killing over 20,000 people and destroying over a million homes in the city. The strategy lasted until May 1941 but did not succeed in breaking British resolve. By 1941, German attention was diverted to the Soviet Union.

1936 The Tasmanian Tiger Becomes Extinct
The last surviving Tasmanian Tiger – a carnivorous marsupial, died in captivity at the Hobart Zoo, Tasmania, Australia. Called Benjamin, the thylacine, as the species was called, is believed to have died due to neglect. Thylacines were natives of Australia and New Guinea and went extinct due to over hunting and the introduction of invasive species like dingos.

Happy Birthday to You!🎶 

1984 - Vera Zvonareva, Russian tennis player

1940 - Abdurrahman Wahid, Indonesian politician, 4th President of Indonesia

1909 - Elia Kazan, Greek/American actor, director, producer, writer

1908 - Paul Brown, American football coach, executive

1533 - Elizabeth I of England

Remembering You

2011 - Victims of the 2011 Lokomotiv Yaroslavl air disaster

1997 - Mobutu Sese Seko, Congolese politician, President of Zaire

1984 - Don Tallon, Australian cricketer

1978 - Keith Moon, English drummer, songwriter, producer

1566 - Suleiman the Magnificent, Ottoman sultan


Breathe in the weekend, relax with your loved ones and make it a great Saturday!

Kim



Comments

  1. Have fun, and please post something that you write on your retreat next Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joe! Hmmm...it will definitely be something about tea.... Enjoy a cuppa!

      Delete
  2. I envy you, well, for at least this morning. Your organization and energy seem to energize everyone's cooperation and set your world in motion from beginning to end--and what is there not to write about? Heavens, it ripples out before you from the moment you wake up to the nod, and you're off to sleep. Your life is vibrant.

    I wish I had remembered the Lake of The Woods Artist Retreat. Had I closely read every one of your blogs this past year (Didn't I?) I would've noted the date, and maybe marked the calendar. Maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, thank you for the kind words. This will make a great eulogy one day so save your notes! (Better yet, I'm going to make a file labeled "Nice Things People Said About Me." It'll be in my filing cabinet. Ha!)

      I apologize for not being more aggressive in my invitation! I just assumed that living in Wannaska country fulfilled your writer's dream and provided enough fodder for your muse. From here on out I will be sure to hound you for a yes or no! The 2020 dates are September 10-13 so mark your calendar!

      Delete
  3. My goodness, things are rockin' and rollin' and your house and on your island (assumed). Your energy and perkiness continue to astound many of us. Thanks for the "back to school" update. JP Savage

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment