Skip to main content

Tuesday, May 8, 2018

What the th? We had a discussion at our house the other day about when to use "th" when typing a date. The conclusion we agreed upon, after much debate and lawyer involvement, was that when the date ends the sentence you do not use the "th". The following sentences are correct, at least according to our legal teams:
I am going to write a blog on May 8.
On the 8th of May, I am going to write a blog.
Under advice of counsel, I will not say anything more about this strenuous situation.

There were many people born on May 8th...I mean May 8. This is an incomplete list of some of the more notable people born on the 8, I mean the 8th, of May.
1972 Verna McVay, Librarian, Williams Minnesota
1884 Harry Truman, US President
1926 Don Rickles, Comedian
1930 Gary Snyder, Activist/poet/Joe Mcdonnell stunt double
1828 Henri Dunant, Swiss humanitarian, Founder of Red Cross
1839 Adolphe-Basile Routhier, French Canadian songwriter (O Canada)

Some important events happened on May 8th...I mean May 8. I will try to list them without any sarcastic humor injected.
589 Reccared summons the Third Council of Toledo (to which I say...Holy Toledo!)
1521 Parliament of Worms installs edict against Martin Luther (Apparently they did this early in the morning, hence the early Worms get the Luther...yes, I know that was just terrible. I have no excuse!)
1541 Spanish explorer Hernando de Soto discovered the Mississippi River (a little known fact is that back then, alphabet soup only had M, I, S, and P in it)
1980 World Health Organization announces smallpox has been eradicated (large pox may still be a threat though)


Your word of the day is lackaday. After my lackadaisical attempt at humor, you might expect me to be more lackaday...or as it were...expressing regret or deprecation.

May 8th...I mean May 8 is National Teacher Day. You can celebrate by sending a thank you note to a teacher who has touched your life. You can also celebrate by pranking a teacher that you are still trying to get even with. Mr. Frauenholtz...I am going to get you! Just kidding of course. You will always be my favorite teacher!

As always, if you have an opinion to express you can email me at ffefreekshow@hotmail.com . Your comments are like chapstick for my lips. I gloss over them.

Comments

  1. Thanks for the Gary Snyder look-alike note. He's 88, so I have 17 years to get my Pulitzer.
    Or are just checking to see if I'm readingth, I mean, reading? Also, there's no such thing as a bad pun. Puns are outside the realm of good and bad. Keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just composed an email that ended with the date. So I wrote May 25. I hope you are right. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably not. But it sounded good!

      Delete

Post a Comment