Skip to main content

May 29, 2018

I am fishing. At least that is what I hope I am doing today. The Minnesota weather needs to cooperate, the outboard engine needs to function, and the boat needs to keep that sparkling Lake of the Woods water out of my boat...and if all that happens I will be basking in the sun and enjoying my favorite pastime.
But...before I can do that I need to research the tidbits of history and other trivia that make today special.
In 1453 Constantinople fell to the Turks. This is important because many people believe that it led to the search for a different trade route to Asia and eventually caused the European discovery of America. Columbus wasn't looking for America, in fact he never knew that he had found a whole new continent. A little trivia for you...what was Constantinople renamed to by the Turks?
In 1953 Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay are first to reach the summit of Mount Everest. Mount Everest is considered by many to be the toughest mountain in the world to climb. To date, over 3,500 people have successfully climbed Mount Everest. 290 have died while trying.
In 2053 TBD.
There are many holidays to celebrate today. My favorite is National Coq Au Vin Day. I will leave that up to you to try and figure out what that day celebrates. Other observances today are:
Composting Day
International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers
Pink Flamingo Day

World Digestive Health Day
I know that you don't care about these other days because you have frantically been searching for some Coq Au Vin Day information. Coq au vin is French braise of chicken, cooked with wine, lardons (salt pork), mushrooms and garlic. Perhaps you envisioned something else? Anyway, here is hoping that some Wannaskan takes the lead on cooking up a sample of this today!
The following people were born on May 29th.
1736 - Patrick Henry, American lawyer and politician and 1st Governor of Virginia
1903 - Bob Hope, English-American actor, singer, author, and producer
1917 - John F. Kennedy (JFK), American Navy lieutenant and politician who became the 35th President of the United States until his assassination on November 22, 1963
1956 - La Toya Jackson, American singer, songwriter, actress
1961 - Melissa Etheridge, American singer, songwriter
Today's unusual word is oenomania. It is an obsession or craze for wine. Ooooonomania is a derivative of the word. It is a crazy whine.
The big question for today is...drumroll please...what kind of bait will work best for fishing on the big lake today? Is it worms? Minnows? Leeches? Coq Au Vin? If you know the answer email it to me at ffefreekshow@hotmail.com and I will forever be in your debt. Can you collect on that? I doubt it!

Comments