Skip to main content

21 May 2018 – Staring at Seventy

Seventy or seventeen? The question is to be or not to be one age or another. Just as the twenties in a life can be rampant with growth and experiences, so, too, the seventies can be the fruition of all that hard-won wisdom with just enough awareness of limited time to hurl one into late-life adventures, be they creating art, traveling wide, or just dreaming by a fireside reading a good book, or taking up a pen and writing poems. I don’t know how old our readers are (nor most of our writers) so, it’s hard to say whether this week’s poem has a chance of carrying the meaning of passing years – of what the widespread phases of life have to say to one another.



Staring at Seventy

                        “Yesterday, I was seventeen,” as is often said
                                    Tomorrow, or someday soon, they will say, “She’s dead”
                        Here I am – at a higher number - one that I thought I’d never see
                                    especially from my days of hubris – now a dimming luminosity
                        Now, seventeen’s ways seem foolish with all plans so grandiose
                                    that age does not foresee what’s coming and disdains all that is morose

                        Staring at seventeen from the other side of sixty-eight
                                    at seventy, only eighteen more and that makes eighty-eight
                                    and out from the grave eighties we know it’s hard to make
                        From seventeen I’ve leaped to seventy, and I stare remorseless at seven-oh
                                    At seventeen I was a fool, but thought there was nothing I didn’t know

                        From where I stand, I see seventy staring back at me
                                    with cocked head and one eyebrow arched
                                    a smirk tickling one corner of its time-ward mouth
                        Here seventeen yields demurely to all that comes and all that goes
                                    barely noticing seventy’s stare or what it means to be old

                        “Just as well,” I sigh and keep staring, eyes locked on seventy
                                    those blank-black eyes so apropos a shade for an enemy
                        Old age, sickness, being missed when dead
                                    we can expect all these, as the learned Buddha said
                        Surely, we can anticipate these certainties even though we want them not
                                    At seventeen we snort at such and give them not a thought

                        We can now stare back at seventeen with grins and many chuckles
                                    at our antics, lovers, and hanging on with whitened knuckles
                        Seventeen seems spotless from this vantage place
                                    blind to all sins yet to be, when seventy sears wrinkles on our face
                        The crisp violence done by years now gone and past
                                    between the two no navigation tools or colored maps

                        At seventy, seventeen feels so like one breath, the briefest visitation
                                    soon seniors gather talking of aches and pains in commiseration 
                        Still, isn’t this the bliss of one and seven?
                                    not yet bound for hell and not yet ship-shape enough for heaven
                        All the grace notes of being less than twenty-one
                                    so many iridescent bubbles popping before we’re finally done

                        Seventy moreover brings a modicum of wisdom
                                    and becoming wiser passes far beyond ‘isms and opinions
                        So, I say, “Seventy bring on your attacks!
                                    I’d rather go on forward than turn to follow younger tracks

Background
For some reason, I’ve always been aware of time passing, and what it means to be a bit older with each year completed. I remember tears welling up during my twenty-first birthday celebration. Then it seemed all downhill for me.

Recently, a friend and I had a conversation. He was driving and I was the passenger. Because it was in my field of vision, I looked at my reflection in the side mirror. “Good grief, I’m old,” I quipped to my friend. “Every time I catch my face in a mirror, I can’t believe how old I look.” (It’s always a surprise because I don’t feel anywhere near as old as I look.) “Really!” he shot back. “I thought I was the only one who did that – the mirror thing. It’s really shocking, almost like seeing someone else.”

“Staring at Seventy” presents a back-and-forth between a very young adult and a person on the edge of being an elder. When young, we tend to be dismissed, and often hear the phrase, “When you get to be my age . . .” When approaching old age (and worse as age progresses) we experience dismissal, isolation and often disrespect. So, who are these people looking at seventeen as inexperienced and not to be relied on, as well as viewing older folks as out of step, and possibly senile? Of course, they are the “middle-aged,” arrogant and certain of their superior place in life. But wait a minute. I’m being unfair categorizing very large groups of people, and that exercise can never be accurate. So, why not form your own views using the explorations below?

Exploration 1: Think seriously what, for you, is the ideal age, whether it is already past, or up ahead, or even right now.
Exploration 2: Although today’s poem takes a lighter look at aging, what are the poem’s more serious meanings?
Exploration 3: Can aging be anthropomorphized?  

Jack Pine Savage



Comments

  1. 2. Serious meanings: How about line 4: "She's dead."
    And further on: "Between the two (ages 17&70) "no navigation tools or colored lights." Exactly why each age should live in the moment and work with what's in our headlights. No telling what will leap out of the dark.
    Age brings "a modicum of wisdom." We no longer need to care so much what others think. I just hope my modicum is sound.

    1. For me, the perfect age is now. (You knew I'd say that.)

    3. Anthropomorphize age? I don't understand this. I've often thought of the Stone Agers as children, clever and cruel. The Middle Agers as adolescents, clever, cruel, and crazy. And our Modern Agers as teenagers, clever, often kind, often self-destructive.
    I myself knew I was looking old when the cashier stopped asking if I wanted the Senior discount.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Chairman, thank you for weighing in so soon. I so look forward to whatever you have to say. Regarding the serious meanings, I think you mean line 2 when you refer to "she's dead." Just a quibble. Your second comment refers to "colored lights"; however, it is "colored maps." Again, absolutely not big deal. What is a big deal is your prescient comment on living in the headlights - in the now, as so many of our wisest fellow humans have said. Finally, concerning #2 exploration, you have one of the soundest modicums I'm aware of. You go, Joe!

      So true that "the perfect age is now." I mean what else do we have?

      And for #3, there are several lines in the poem where I treat "seventy" as if it were a living entity, for example, the cocked eyebrow etc.

      As far as knowing when I was looking old, I'm still waiting. HaHa!

      Delete

Post a Comment