Skip to main content

Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Welcome to the Wannaskan Almanac for Tuesday, March 6. There are exactly 300 days left in 2018. Perhaps they will make an epic battle movie about this fact, but I have my doubts.
Some interesting things happened on this day in history. In 1834 York, Ontario, was renamed to Toronto. I believe that was also the last time they won the Stanley Cup in York...I mean Toronto.
In 1521 Ferdinand Magellan arrived in Guam. He is famous for introducing leggings to the natives. It was also the date when the Cleveland Browns last won a playoff game. Note: This is the last sports team mocking that will be shared for several paragraphs.
In 12 B.C. Augustus is named Pontifex Maximus, effectively proclaiming himself as Emperor of Rome. This is also the date that I last did light housework without complaining about how bad my back, knees, or ego was hurting.
Famous people born on this day include Bob Wills (1905). His most famous song was "Time Changes Everything" . Records on whether or not Bob Wills ever played in the Wannaska Music Hall are sketchy. Actually, records on whether or not there was ever a Wannaska Music Hall are sketchy.
Another famous person born on this day was Cyrano de Bergerac. He was a French playwright (Voyage to the Moon), but is more commonly known for his large nose. I attempted to find a photo that confirms the rumor of his large facial appendage but was unable to find anything that verifies the legend. His Facebook page appears to have been deleted.
In 1806 Elizabeth Barrett Browning was born in Kelloe, Durham. Her most famous work is Sonnets from the Portuguese, a collection of 46 love poems. The following is probably her most cited work.

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of being and ideal grace.
I love thee to the level of every day’s
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood’s faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints. I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life; and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.

The poem pretty much describes that love is the most powerful thing on earth; able to overcome all obstacles...even death. At least that is what I think it means. Comment below if you come up with something else. Another interesting thing about Elizabeth Barrett Browning is that she is the namesake for Diane Chamber's cat on the television show "Cheers". I wonder how much she would "love" that little tidbit of information!

I still have room on the page, so I thought I would write down some interesting words and their definitions.

agastopia (noun) – admiration of a particular part of someone’s body


bibble (verb) – to drink often; to eat and/or drink noisily

cabotage (noun) – coastal navigation; the exclusive right of a country to control the air traffic within its borders
Note: this is not to be confused with the verb cabotage – to sabotage with cabbage and/or Vermont Cabot Cheese

As usual, if you have complaints or compliments please email them to me at ffefreekshow@hotmail.com or you can just bibble your vittles noisily in an attempt to block out the memory of this post. If you find yourself with a desire to shoot me a little agastopia, then I would suggest a quick trip to the optometrist because you may have been cabotaged and have cheese or cabbage in your eyes.

Comments