Skip to main content

Franny and the Monsters of Prague

Hello and welcome to another Saturday here at the Wannaskan Almanac. Today is December 7th, aka the first Saturday of December 2019 and the day after my brother's birthday.

Today is the 78th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor. My cousin and his family were in Hawaii over the Thanksgiving holiday and had visited Pearl Harbor. According to Navy Times, officials still plan to hold the traditional Pearl Harbor commemoration today despite the recent shooting.

Tragedy like this brings to mind that quote about history repeating itself. A quick Google search credits the sentiment to George Santayana, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." However, plenty of other historical figures have riffed on the concept including Karl Marx, "History repeats itself, first as tragedy, then as farce," Winston Churchill, "Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it," and Bernard Shaw, "If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must Man be of learning from experience?" which just goes to show that ideas are rarely original, just revised. Mark Twain, forever the contrarian, says instead, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme." (Hat tip here to Chairman Joe who I thought would appreciate this.)

If you need a fun fact over dinner tonight, try this: "Say, did you know that Delaware was the first state to ratify the United States' Constitution?" To which others at the table will hopefully remark, "Really!" and "You don't say!" Consider this an invitation for two follow-up factoids. "Yes! In 1787. Incidentally, that's why Delaware is sometimes referred to as the First State." (Note: This segue to more trivia will divert anyone who latches onto the word "Constitution" and wants to discuss current events, which, as we Wannaskans know, is not a good dinner table topic.)

And, finally, on this day, opera gets a shout-out as the Royal Opera House opened its doors in 1732 in London. I've never been, but if you have, comment below!

The school of my Wannaskan hamlet recently organized a trip to Winnipeg - oh wait, that was for ballet. Nevermind. (Opera needs to work on its marketing, I think.) I have been to two operas in my life. The first time was in college when my boss gave me his tickets because he couldn't attend. I took a boy I was crazy about and that's all I remember about that opera. The second opera I attended was the Czech opera, Rusalka, with my hubby (who I'm still crazy about, even though he drives me crazy.) Rusalka herself was the epitome of grace and beauty, I wore a purple dress, and the opera was sung in Czech. I think hubby cried. Later, he commented, "She had a good Czech accent." (The actress.)

Now that we're in the month of December, I'm reminded of a novel I read once that had the word December in the title. When I was a student at the University of Minnesota, I spent a winter break - the entire month of December - at the Lost Dutchman RV Resort with my grandmother in Apache Junction, Arizona. This "community for active seniors" was really great at providing all kinds of activities ranging from lounging at the pool to hiking the nearby Superstition Mountains. (My own grandmother taught stained glass, sang in the choir, and square danced.) During one of my more inert moments (after hiking in said mountains), I browsed the resort's library and picked a book titled The Decembrists. Or so I thought. I can't find the book anywhere on Amazon. The book was about a present day crime story linked somehow to the Decembrist uprising that took place in Imperial Russia in 1825. Interestingly, going down this December rabbit hole has taught me that Leo Tolstoy started a novel called The Decembrists, of which he only finished three chapters.

If you're looking for some lighter reading that feature the word December in the title, here are some cute looking romcoms: One Day in December by Josie Silver and We Met in December by Rosie Curtis. (Note: Apparently LOTS of Harlequins are also set in December.)

For the literary folks, Tenth of December:Stories by George Saunders, aka, that guy who wrote Lincoln in the Bardo which won the 2017 Man Booker Prize. (Note: December 10th falls on a Tuesday, which I'm sure our WA Tuesday contributor, Mr. Hot Coco, will be delighted to know.)

And for the kiddos, even though it doesn't have December in the title:
I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas by John Rox.

Christmas Day is less than 20 days away and the holidays are breathing down our necks. (Or is that just me?)

Christmas Day is only 18 days away! Aren't you excited?!

If you're still on the hunt for clever, unique gifts here's a handy list of 10 perfect Christmas gift ideas for people who love Prague and the Czech Republic. (Note: Some may require your physical presence in Czech Republic. Not a bad thing!) Order soon to account for international postal delivery!

If you're like me and want to honor #shoplocal this year but really like the idea of purchasing carp in a can or Franny and the Monsters of Prague, the perfect bilingual book for kids by 13-year-old Rozálie Vondráčková about "Franny who tells the tale of a cat who encounters various ghosts while learning fascinating facts about Prague icons like Charles Bridge, Žižkov Tower, and the Golem," (I'm personally thinking about the Pilsner Beer Socks or a Bohemian Growler Company ceramic growler for hubby) - you can! The Czech businesses and artisans who are selling these goods are a far cry from the megastore like the online-you-know-who-business-which-shall-not-be-named. These goods are not "Made in China" but genuine Czech zboži.

And speaking of Czech stuff and Christmas, in the county just east of our Wannaska, the Lake of the Woods County Historical Society will be hosting a Czech Christmas next Saturday, December 14, from 1:00 - 4:00 p.m. Our family has been invited, so come! Join the festivities! A little (Czech) mouse has informed me there will be (edible) chocolate ornaments!

In the meantime, I invite you to listen to this collection of Most Beloved Czech Christmas Carols I found on YouTube!

Happy Christmas Preparation Season!

On This Day

Historic Highlights (credits)

2004 - Hamid Karzai takes office
The Afghan politician took office as the President of the Islamic Republic in Afghanistan's first direct democratic elections in history.

1982 - December Murders in Suriname
Fifteen prominent Surinamese men were kidnapped and subsequently murdered over 3 days by the military government. The men were known to have criticized the military dictatorship.

1941 - Attack on Pearl Harbor
The Imperial Japanese Navy attacked the U.S. naval base at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. The attack was the impetus for the U.S.'s entry into World War II.

1787 - First state to ratify the U.S. Constitution
Delaware became the first state to ratify the United States Constitution. Because of this, it is sometimes called the First State.

1732 - Royal Opera House opens its doors
The popular performing arts venue in Covent Garden, London houses the Royal Opera and the Royal Ballet.

Happy Birthday to You!🎶 

1984 - Robert Kubica, Polish race car driver

1980 - John Terry, English footballer

1956 - Larry Bird, American basketball player

1949 - Tom Waits, American singer-songwriter, guitarist, actor

1928 - Noam Chomsky, American linguist, philosopher

Remembering You

1993 - Félix Houphouët-Boigny, Ivorian politician, 1st President of Côte d'Ivoire

1985 - Robert Graves, English author

1917 - Ludwig Minkus, Austrian violinist, composer

1817 - William Bligh, English Admiral, statesmen, 4th Governor of New South Wales

983 - Otto II, Holy Roman Emperor

Listen to some Czech Christmas carols, enjoy your Christmas preparations and make it a great Saturday!

Kim


Comments

  1. Another great Saturday post! You write so energetically about such lively things, I think I'll have to take a wee nap later just to catch up; if not that, perhaps a shot of my inhaler to amp up my adrenaline. I always enjoy your stuff. (Now about that Czech beer tasting opportunity ...)

    Aside from that, I remembered you have an immense following (read: huge) in the Wannaskan Almanac, and since you were pitching a few books to read over winter in this post, I must pitch a book I've read--and will soon read again that I think is phenomenal; the best book of this genre that I've read in, maybe five years, and it's titled, "Heartbeat of Wounded Knee: Native America 1890-Present," by David Treuer, published just this year.

    Having Anishinnabe Ojibwe relatives these past nine years, since our grandson was born, I've learned much about their culture through firsthand experience as well as reading many Native-authored books and subscribing to Native news services on-line. I also enjoy Native humor websites, like the1491s.

    As a non-Native, I hope to avoid disrespecting Native people as well as embarrassing myself. When you're on a reservation, you're in a different country with its own language, culture, laws and history, no different than if you've crossed the ocean or a international border --- with the exception of Customs Officers and security checkpoints.

    Heartbeat of Wounded Knee: 1890 to Present, in my opinion, is an extraordinary contemporary text that should be in schools, libraries and reading rooms throughout the country. David Treurer is an Ojibwe author who was born on the Leech Lake Reservation in Cass Lake, Minnesota. Czech it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Note: I spelled Treuer wrong, in the last paragraph. Wish I could get back in to edit it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have this book, too! I saw David speak in May and bought this book. My mother currently has it in her possession. Thanks for the recommendation and reminder of this excellent book! (P.S. I heard Anton on MPR last week. It seems he might have his own hosting slot? Cool!)

      Delete

Post a Comment