Skip to main content

Wannaskan Almanac for Thursday September 27, 2018

    For years I’ve often listened to MPR broadcasts when I’m working outdoors on home projects, preferring good talks or lectures, or programs dealing with human interaction, humorous or intellectual, anything that doesn’t offend my intelligence, and yet, on occasion, I enjoy good 7th grade humor programs that do, examples of which I can’t name right now.

    Downright silly programs, like “Wait, Wait Don’t Tell Me” don’t get any playtime on my truck radio, but “The Moth Radio Hour” and “RadioLab” have found a niche in my interests.

    My eldest sister tried to turn me onto “A Prairie Home Companion” back in the day, but it wasn’t for many years afterward that I did start listening and enjoying the programming. I looked forward to listening to those weekend broadcasts as I worked among the tree rows or was just sprawled in my pickup about sunset on quiet evenings, a beer and notepad within reach.

    Before MPR, I listened to CBC from Winnipeg around the clock, beginning on my early morning commute with warnings on traffic jams or road closures in downtown Winnipeg, or elsewhere along the border from eastern Saskatchewan to western Ontario, CBC offered me the best radio reception and programming from here in Palmville, and too, CBC was the only radio station I could get on my truck's AM radio.

    It was so informative and interesting to me, especially when offerings included Canada Reads discussions with authors like Margret Atwood, Alice Munro, and Leonard Cohen, to name a few. Discussions that I was bane[woe] to leave, listening as I did on my lunch breaks in the parking lot. I would often be late returning because I relished the talk so much. For practically 34 years I worked in an intellectual wasteland. 

    Thomas King was a Canadian First Nations writer whose satirical program: Dead Dog Cafe Comedy Hour, included Jasper Friendly Bear and Grace Heavy Hand, was totally hilarious and yet contemporary First Nations humor. It was an introduction to Canadian history for me and offered the first inkling of the First Nations perspective. Great stuff.
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/rewind/dead-dog-cafe-comedy-hour-1.2801276

    Back in the 1980s, as I built the entry to my mobile home, I learned about Glenn Gould, a Canadian pianist. His beautiful music was so appropriate for the environment I live in, that I would arrange my big speakers near the windows and crank my Sony receiver up loud.
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/revisiting-glenn-gould-s-revolutionary-radio-documentary-the-idea-of-north-1.4460709

    Some of CBC’s late night programs were in French and although I didn’t understand any of it, it gave me the feeling I was in another country--which, truthfully, was only 28 miles north.
For years, I listened to Canadian radio and read North Dakota newspapers. I knew more about Canadian and North Dakota politics than I did of the U.S. and Minnesota. Reading an issue of the Star Tribune was a rare treat and was usually outdated, having likely been found in a recycling dumpster or wastebasket someplace.

    For some reason, other than not buying a subscription to satellite radio, CBC reception became interrupted the closer I got to home and I lost it, so MPR became my go-to station.

    On Wednesday, Sept 26, on MPR, David Brooks, a New York columnist and commentator, spoke at the Institute for Freedom & Community at St. Olaf College, titled his talk, "Patriotism, Nationalism, and the Idea of America." 

   
    Interspersed with good humor, Brooks expanded on community building and human relations. I enjoyed his talk, with the exception that he, as do so many other speakers in 2018, talk about ‘our’ America and completely omit inclusion of the first Americans, inferring that American history began with the arrival of the Puritans.

    I cannot listen nor read about any period of American history now without connecting it to the plight of Native Americans throughout the country at that time of mention and how they were living, as did Mr. Brooks discussing the year 1890, and how great the US was doing, without acknowledging a whisper about “the largest domestic massacre in U.S. history, called  the Wounded Knee Massacre on December 29, 1890 on the Lakota Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wounded_Knee_Massacre http://www.shovelbums.org/index.php/item/28-124-years-ago-today-wounded-knee-massacre


    Even this US Census website fails to include the Wounded Knee Massasacre: https://www.census.gov/history/www/through_the_decades/fast_facts/1890_fast_facts.html
   It didn't make the list.


    Without documentation, my words may be empty here but the fact is that Native Americans/Indians/First Nations people have forever been invisible to contemporary minds and eyes--especially politicians and erstwhile leaders of this country who either know nothing of the country’s first peoples or fail to acknowledge them as viable members of the country in all their discussions about the true history of our country. 

    Ignored and dismissed for too long the 7th generation are making great strides in their cultural revival, despite setbacks over the past 500 years with still much work to do toward suicide prevention, chemical addiction, and combating violence against Native American women.
http://indianlaw.org/issue/ending-violence-against-native-women
    

Please checkout: Indian Country Today for a contemporary look. https://newsmaven.io/indiancountrytoday/news/top-10-stories-what-indian-country-read-this-past-week-as-of-sep-22-2018-AEAcbxHJo0e3b0pEdU2Skg/

And, for another look, that combines Native humor with contemporary issues, the bold among you may wish to check out:
www.1491s.com 


 

Comments

  1. In addition to Thor's many suggestions, everyone just HAS to check out his latest installment to Wannaska World: Ode to Wannaska [https://wannaskaworld.blogspot.com/]

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment