Skip to main content

September 25, 2018

There is nothing special about today.  An exhaustive search resulted in finding no holidays or special days celebrated in America today.  This left me with two options...make up a holiday or proceed onto other topics.  So, in honor of National Orthodontists Thyroid Health In Northern Guatemala day, I will skip on to other things.
Did you realize that it is only three months to Christmas.  I know that because I started to see Christmas shopping items in our local store.  They were slightly obstructed by Halloween candy and costumes, but they were there. If it was up to my daughter, we would put our Christmas tree up as soon as we start to see Christmas items in the store, but we...I mean she...was overruled by my wife.

The word of the day starts with Y.  Logically, the only word I could commit to was yogic.  There were other words that made the finals, like yogini and yusho, but I couldn't get past the logic of yogic.  Yogic means pertaining to yoga, such as Yoda and Yogi were stretching out for a yogic session.  Of course, honorable mention goes to the Minnesotan phrase, "Ya, sure, you betcha", which if you say it fast enough sounds like one long, weird word.   
On this day in history:
953 Ratherius becomes bishop of Luik.  (He was heard to have said on that day...Luik, I am your Father)
955 Bishop Ratherius flees from Luik.  (Apparently he came up against a Force)
1513 Vasco Nunez de Balboa (no relation to Rocky) crossed the isthmus of Panama and became the first European to see the Pacific Ocean.  (He apparently crossed the isthmus three months before Christmas, winning a small prize from the Spanish poetry society for coming up with a historical poetry rhyme for isthmus).
1780 Benedict Arnold joins the British.  He is considered to be the Darth Vader of his day...minus the mask and light saber.
1926 Henry Ford announces 8 hour per day, 5 day work-week.  My idea of a 8 minute per day, 1 day per week work-week has not yet received the attention I believe it deserves.
I will leave you with a story.  This past week we were warned by the local weather service that a huge storm was coming our way.  The storm had lightning, heavy rain, and ping-pong ball sized hail.  We were told to stay away from windows, so I decided to type this almanac entry on a Mac.
If that story made you groan, you can email me at ffefreekshow@hotmail.com and share your own story.  I will read your Mac story...I promise.  Ios that much!


Comments